BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

A high mileage (180k - FSH) 328 sport has come up local to me that I am just going to have a look at (price is reflected by mileage) but it has an 'auto-box'. Having never owned an auto I just wanted to know whether I should even entertain an auto due to reliability and expense should they fail especially with the current mileage?

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Hmm it's a tricky one. My E34 runabout is an 2.5 Auto and it has 168k on it and it runs smooth as anything. But I personally wouldn't want an Auto with that mileage on it as a main car unless it was very cheap. What price is it advertised for?

If I was in your position I wouldn't want to sell my a great car like yours for an older one with a high mileage Autobox.

That's just my view though - if the car has been really well maintained then the gearbox may last for ages longer, but if it doesn't, it could be costly. Maybe someone else knows how much they cost so you'd know what you might need to budget for.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I take it this will be a runaround and you'd keep the 330i?
To be honest, I'd risk it. Worst case is the box fails, which is not exactly a widely reported problem on these forums, and you'd need another. Can probably pick up good second hand auto boxes for not much these days too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joe - the car is up for £1500 and is currently owned by a member over on e36coupe.com

He has owned the car since 2007 and has maintained it well he says since. Since ownership he has personally maintained servicing (oil, filters, plugs etc) but all other work has been carried out by a garage including the following: rear wishbones, rear brake pipes, front balljoints with E30 ones, new stat, waterpump and all belts.

I know what you are saying regarding going backwards with higher mileage though but I think my mind is made up that another e36 is on the cards!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would actually be getting rid of the 330. I only use my cars as run arounds really as I work 2 miles away from my home and drive to the gym which is 3 miles away (circa 4k a year). If I do any travelling we always use the Mrs 116

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well im on 140k and mines fine now i did have a problem when cold it would hesitate when selectring drive. Its fine now. On the upside im changin the box to manual so ill have a spare box for donation to this forum. For incase a members fail

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well im on 140k and mines fine now i did have a problem when cold it would hesitate when selectring drive. Its fine now. On the upside im changin the box to manual so ill have a spare box for donation to this forum. For incase a members fail
On that note, I'd be intrigued to see the size difference between an e36 auto box and a manual one. When I took the manual box out of my friend's 328i I was amazed at how small it seemed! One person could easily carry it too, a little lumpy but not the massive immovable object I was expecting.

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
I would actually be getting rid of the 330. I only use my cars as run arounds really as I work 2 miles away from my home and drive to the gym which is 3 miles away (circa 4k a year). If I do any travelling we always use the Mrs 116
That's a really low mileage so it could be worth a punt...I do like the 328 Sport's. I would keep some of the leftover money from the sale of the 330i aside as a backup in case though...and keep some for mods too of course ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
It's not a bad plan. If it's clean and it has the occasional oil change the box will plod on for a while yet, and a good used one isn't worth a great deal. 328i Autos do drive nicely as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
besides the reliability aspect which you are asking about, the auto has a completely different drive altogether. It has seriously long ratios 2nd hits 75 and 3rd works its way right to 110mph. A manual is much more fun. That being said, I have an auto, and I wouldn't change it for the world. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think my top speed averages around 35mph as it is all town driving that I do with a run to my parents every 2 weeks which is only 24 mile round trip then. Quite like the idea of being in an auto round town all the time

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 328 auto is approaching 120k (was on 107k when I bought it) and the box hasn't missed a beat in the time I've owned it. As already stated, autobox issues are not a common problem on these... although not totally unheard of it must be said :thumbsup

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If it has had an auto-box oil change after 100K then I'd say it is an even bet.

Most of my driving is urban so I have 3 x E36 autos. Despite the small MPG loss I would not go back to a manual for the driving I do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts