BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My car had a lot of problems with being extremely sensitive to uneven roadsurface, aquaplanning,... some sections on the motorway, I was wresteling with my steering wheel to keep the car just in a straight line at only 80 mph! This sunday I've found some second hand wintertires: semperit 205/55 16inch on steel rims. All my handeling problems are gone. It feels like it's on rails!! And i have the impression even my fuel consumption is better! My old sumer tires are goodride 225/50 16inch, So I guess those tires are the problem. Or could the improvement be of the smaller tires? I can't imagine changing from 225/50 to 205/55 can give you such a huge difference!. Now my question is: I'm going to look for different dummer tires, but should I stay with the old size 225/50 or am I better to look for a 205 tires? Am I going to lose a lot of grip, or will this be just a small los?

greetings
W

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went from 205's to 225's and found handling improved and no tramlining have your tracking and bushes checked ............ Ps very jealous 323ti nice
Bushes in the front replaced and in the back are in good condition. And the tracking is checked and was just not "perfect" but well into the limits supplied by BWM. (checked by 2 different persons)

·
Registered
E83 3.0 X3 2004
147 Posts
If changing wheels and tyres stopped the problem its either bad tyres or buckled/damaged wheels. Are you able to get the winter tyres swapped to your alloys? If the car drives fine you know it was the tires if it all goes bad its the wheels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If changing wheels and tyres stopped the problem its either bad tyres or buckled/damaged wheels. Are you able to get the winter tyres swapped to your alloys? If the car drives fine you know it was the tires if it all goes bad its the wheels.
good idea. The summertires do fit on my alloys. I'm going to try that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts