BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I recently swapped my summer tires (225/50 16inch goodride) for second hand winter tires ( 205/55 16inch semperit). Instantly the handeling of my car was much better. No more tramlining, much better stability in high speed corners, better traction off line, even in conditions where summertires should be better (dry and not verry cold)! So it's quite obvious those goodride tires are rubbish. So I'm going to change my summer tires to a A-brand (michelin, goodyear, pirelli, .. haven't decided yet) But my mechanic insist I should stay with the smaller 205/55 and no 225/50 summertires, altough the standard BMW tires are size 225/50. Any suggestion what to pick? (BTW my rimsize is 7Jx16h2 and I don't do any trackwork with my car)

greetings

·
Registered
206 Posts
well your rim size is perfect for 225/50/16 and they are a perfect matching size for your old tyre so i cant see why you couldnt change them .

goodride would be considered a budget tyre and will handle like one you would see an instant difference if you moved up to a premium brand tyre or even some mid range tyres ,or you could just put premium tyres on instead of your summer tyres in 205/55/16 if you want. you would feel a difference .

·
Registered
387 Posts
as above dude go with the 225/50 but i wud have the 40 profile not the 50.

·
Registered
206 Posts
the 40 profile would not be a good idea its too much of a difference fron the original tyre ,its 7.2 % smaller and this could cause problems with ABS sensors and your speedo would read very wrong it would read 64mph when you were actually doing 70 , if the op wanted a lower profile to give sportier handling he would need to go up to 17 inch rims

by going from the 205/55/16 to th 225/50/16 there is only a 0.08% difference and thats about as good as you can get :D

PS: yes im a Tyre Nerd :lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know all about the size difference (even have my own homemade calculation program). A 225/40 diameter would be to small. But that wasn't my initial question. I am going to change my tires to a premium marque (Michelin PS 2 or Pirelli P zero Nero) I just want to know if going from a 225 tot a 205 would make a big difference in grip levels. I've looked up some info and I found out that BMW puts a 205/55/R16 on their E46 330!! That car has 230hp and 25% more torque than me. So I guess 205/55/R16 should be OK on my car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
of course making the tyre wider and puting on better tyres would increase the grip level :confused, i would be shocked if anyone with an e46 330i had that size it might fit but i wouldnt do it

i dont think the michelin ps2 or pirelli p-zero is made for 16 inch wheels either tbh most of the really grippy tyres start at 17 inch fitment so if you want them maybe think about a new set of alloys , but any of the premium brand tyres would be a big improvement in grip

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
of course making the tyre wider and puting on better tyres would increase the grip level :confused, i would be shocked if anyone with an e46 330i had that size it might fit but i wouldnt do it

i dont think the michelin ps2 or pirelli p-zero is made for 16 inch wheels either tbh most of the really grippy tyres start at 17 inch fitment so if you want them maybe think about a new set of alloys , but any of the premium brand tyres would be a big improvement in grip

Of course bigger tires means more grip, but also bigger tyres, less feel. And I rather drive a car with decent grip and good feel, than more grip and less feel. (My previous car a 1995 corsa, had a lot of grip and NO feel;-) hmmm not sure yet what I'm going to do... but I still have some time to think about it.
I already found those michelin and pirelli's in 16 inch. 4tires +fitting: 535€ (450£) ;-)

·
Registered
206 Posts
id say that was more to do with it being a corsa than the wider tyres my missus has 225 all round on her 320d and it has buckets of feel and the likes of M3's have 255 and 275 and are know for they way they handle and feel
so i wouldnt worry about it too much ,

I already found those michelin and pirelli's in 16 inch. 4tires +fitting: 535€ (450£) ;-)
PS: where did you find michelin ps2 in 16 inch i checked there website and it says the smallest tyre they make is 205/50/17
the pirellis are made in that size alright i had the pirelli p-zero nero on my old car and found them very good in dry and decent in wet

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have been running over winter with the skinny snow/winter tyres and felt the grip was fine, but its only now I have my regular fats back on that I feel truly confident everywhere rather than just straight line and mild curves. Skinny induced understeer, while back with the fatties the car can be pushed into oversteer which to me is infinitely preferable

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
id say that was more to do with it being a corsa than the wider tyres my missus has 225 all round on her 320d and it has buckets of feel and the likes of M3's have 255 and 275 and are know for they way they handle and feel
so i wouldnt worry about it too much ,

PS: where did you find michelin ps2 in 16 inch i checked there website and it says the smallest tyre they make is 205/50/17
the pirellis are made in that size alright i had the pirelli p-zero nero on my old car and found them very good in dry and decent in wet
Those tires are indeed not yet on the website, but I've got 2 tirecenters (Gent, Belguim) who conformed me they exsist. They are only not yet in production (and aparantly it's the michelin PS3).

·
Registered
206 Posts
ya the pilot sport 3 is supposed to be an excellent tyre especially in the wet , the ps2 is being phased out and replaced by the michelin pilot super sport :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
what was the verdict for the op? I have michelin 205 55 16 on my car and they are great. Half way through tread after 10k. Will 225 55 continentals be any better and if so, how? Im thinking about that with eibach pro kit, to simulate es but i have an se

1 - 14 of 14 Posts