BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my 323i se makes a mettalic tapping noise every time I go over speed bumps or just bumps in the road, starting to p**s me off all feedback appreciated. Jay

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would check the exhaust heat shield, and exhaust mountings first as they are probably the most common reasons for rattling :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Particularly the gearbox-end exhaust hangar - very high fail item and does give a metallic tapping sort of noise on bumps.
New one about a tenner from the stealers.

Also, check the old toolbox in the boot lid for anything loose - a prime suspect!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks I will have to get it up on some ramps and have a good look tomorrow, didnt even think of tools in boot lid, if bushes are they easy to replace? Jay

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have found the same problem... head under the car shows the heat shield is loose and resting on the exhaust. What do I do to fix back to the chassis?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I had a issue like this for months and couldnt find the issue till yesturday and i found that the metal shield around the cat one of the wled broke and the shield was slapping against the exhaust

·
Registered
163 Posts
Use a penny washer (or something same size cut from tin can) to enlarge the coverage over the rotting heatshield bolt holes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts