BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! My name is Kabir and I've only recently joined Bimmerforums. So first of all, a big "HELLO!" to all the fellow members! Secondly, I was hoping to get some advice as to how I can fix a problem that I've got with my car. I have a convertible E36 and whenever it rains, or the roof is soaked, or its been snowing, it leaks! Drops of water leak in where the door, the front of the roof and the windscreen frame meet/intersect. It happens on both the driver and the passenger side. Please help me fix this as I always leave the car with a wet patch on my right thigh when its been raining! :(
Cheers,
Kabir.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is my third e36 cab and all of mine have leaked at the same place as yours. More than likely the seals have split through the age of the car. I fitted new ones and it helped but didnt stop it completly so i bought a hardtop and that cured problem

·
Registered
225 Posts
perished/cracked rubbers. quite cheap to replace!

·
Registered
225 Posts
quick fix..small peice of scrunched up bog roll placed in the small cavity in the rubbers where the roof meets at the windscreen(not a huge chunk or you will knacker whats left of the rubbers!)

·
Registered
454 Posts
quick fix..small peice of scrunched up bog roll placed in the small cavity in the rubbers where the roof meets at the windscreen(not a huge chunk or you will knacker whats left of the rubbers!)
Haha... Im not the only one that does this then..

I keep a roll of kitchen towel (super absorbant) under my chair.. lmao!

·
Registered
225 Posts
well i suppose kitchen roll is the classier option!! :p

Reactions: show n shine

·
Registered
15 Posts
which seal is this?

the one that goes all the way from the top of the windscreen to the the qtr panal inside??

where you getting them from if you think there cheap?? bmw want over £100,
i need one to.

i have this problem and its down to the door seal deforming where the "ear" is at the top of the windscreen it should have a little arch in it. chances are yours has deformed and pulls up with the window. its meant that the window closes up into it and its meant to form a run off flat tab to catch the water and filter it down the tube at the side of the windscreen.

hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive done the kitchen roll thing lol But Im tired of that :( The part ur talking about mlawso16 is deformed... So I will try changing the rubber seals and let u all knw.
Cheers

·
Registered
225 Posts
which seal is this?

the one that goes all the way from the top of the windscreen to the the qtr panal inside??

where you getting them from if you think there cheap?? bmw want over £100,
i need one to.

i have this problem and its down to the door seal deforming where the "ear" is at the top of the windscreen it should have a little arch in it. chances are yours has deformed and pulls up with the window. its meant that the window closes up into it and its meant to form a run off flat tab to catch the water and filter it down the tube at the side of the windscreen.

hope this helps
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BJ52&mospid=47420&btnr=54_0181&hg=54&fg=10

dunno who was quoting you..100 brick seems rather strong! was that for the entire shooting match?
i meant no 26 on diagram :thumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem. only on the drivers side where the very front roof seal meets the windscreen frame seal. it used to drip rain water right near the window onto the drivers seat. here is a cheap cure: (as long as the seals are not split) pick a dry sunny day and mark with white chalk where you seen the water coming it. OR open the roof to stage one only and mark the windscreen frame seal with white chalk and then close the roof fully and then reopen it to see the inprint on chalk on the roof front seal and see if there are any gaps (but sometimes this does not work with the chalk). then open the roof only on its first stage. then clean both seals with a good degreaser like carb cleaner or brake cleaner. then smear a smooth layer of black silicone sealant on both seals (about 0.5 to 1mm thick depending on how bad the leak is) make sure that both layers are smooth and not lumpy. and then let them dry for about 4 or 5 hours. and then when you close your roof, both the dried layers of silicone will meet and stop any leak. you must make sure they the silicone is fully set before closing your roof or it will just be a waste of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leaky Roof - Actual Fix

Hi there! My name is Kabir and I've only recently joined Bimmerforums. So first of all, a big "HELLO!" to all the fellow members! Secondly, I was hoping to get some advice as to how I can fix a problem that I've got with my car. I have a convertible E36 and whenever it rains, or the roof is soaked, or its been snowing, it leaks! Drops of water leak in where the door, the front of the roof and the windscreen frame meet/intersect. It happens on both the driver and the passenger side. Please help me fix this as I always leave the car with a wet patch on my right thigh when its been raining! :(
Cheers,
Kabir.
Hi the problem you have is a rubber seal (gasket) between the roof and metal bow that holds the mo hair to the roof mechanism, has perished you will only find a trace of sticky glue where the GASKET used to be. It costs less than £15 from BMW and will solve your problem. Don't go buying new A pillow rubbers for £250 each remember, convertible roof seal GASKET.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.