BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
View attachment 20696 hi to everyone here,
im new to the whole scene (beemas/forums) i have just purchased my very first bmw its a 97 318is coupe....i was told when buying it that it was a 318is m sport :confused is there such a thing or was this a clever sales pitch :confused
the car has 100,000k on the clock with fbmwsh i paid a princley sum of £700 for it, not quite sure if this is good money or not ?
anyway i had the rear tyres changed this weekend and have been told that the passenger rear spring has snapped :mad ..the guy told me i can get away with just changing the one side ! but surely common sense would suggest the pair need replacing ?? please advise. i have also had other issues with remote locking/alarm but with a wee bit of gusto i have managed to sort this on my own :thumbsup
heres a pic of the old girl !!!

p.s sorry if i have done things back to front but like i say im a noob in all aspects.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Best to replace both! but the good news is that its pretty easy! wheel off, jack it up, unbolt the damper from the hub, get a bar or a friend to push down on the spring carrier then just remove the spring, slot the new one in, bolt the damper back on and the jobs a goo 'un!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jees you guys are like lightning !!
cheers for the warm welcome
im guna tackle the springs tonight after a large drambuie shandy, got the perfect m8 to help me he is normally a useless excuse for a human but he weighs around 21st so im guessing i wont need a pry bar other than to get his arse out of the chair !!
if i dont remove my face with a stray spring i will pop back tomorrow with an update.
once again cheers for the welcome!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ITS DONE !!!
thanks to you guys here at bimmer i have completed the task of changing the rear springs ..... the job took me a little over 2hrs for both sides .
verdict : doddle even the wife could do it (if she were allowed near my car that is)
as for the fat m8...well lets just say he was as usefull as shotgun with no trigger !
he turned up 30 mins after i had completed the job so i sent him on his way with a slice of pizza ... for anyone who has to tackle the job this is how i had done it
1.wheel off
2.18mm nut off the bottom of the suspension strut
3.(this bit was just personal preferance) a small squirt of wd40 to the top and bottom of the spring just to aid the removal proccess
4.(this is where the fat m8 should of helped) but for this part a wife with a bubbly personality (big boned) stood on the wheel hub to lower away from the car as i tugged away.:sarcastic....after some tugging i thought it would be a good idea to start to try and pull the spring out !:hihi
5.replaced the rubber seat top and bottom with a tad more wd40 to the rubber (to help with insertion of the new spring)
6.with wifey still doing the balancing act i seated the new spring with the bottom going in first ....pop and it went in
7.jacked up the wheel hub to meet the suspension strut wound up the 18mm nut and replaced the wheel
8. tell wifey you couldnt do it without her help and your very gratefull ..... the benefit of that will become apparent the next time you have a special cuddle ! .....as tesco will tell you EVERY LITTLE HELPS :lol
JOB DONE

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
:rofl This thread has made me chuckle :lol

But just going back to your first post... No, it's not an M-Sport.
And to confirm it, check your log book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts