BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After having a few problems with my nearside lights only working if they were in a good mood and then my central locking from the key fob doing the same I decided to delve into the cause. After reading various threads on here I decided to have a look at the wires in the bootlid. When I pulled back the outer sheath of the loom I found something quite amazing. Nearly all of the wires were cut/worn. I have attached a couple of photos that I took before they got repaired. Bearing in mind other than pulling back the outer sheath I'd not done anything to them. Anyway, all fixed now, and my bootlid locks with the central locking which it never did before and all my lights work.

Today, I love my BMW.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're going to re-solder the wires and generally revamp the existing loom - like I did - I recommend smearing some vaseline onto the wires before re-sheaving them in the outer cable tubing.

Keeps everything nice and moist and rubbing together smoothly. No chafing. Ooh er misses!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ronnie - Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Fanger - Great idea, I've got a problem with my spoiler brake light now so I'll be stripping it down again so I can apply some vaseline then. Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
thanks for the post! my boot doesnt lock with the central locking anymore i just lived with it but now i'll have a look!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dodgy window is now fixed as well since doing this. It now goes all the way up on one push of the switch. Bonus!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can get all sorts of wierd electrical gremlins if these wires are broken including problems with the dash clocks and battery drain,central locking etc...to name a few

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can get all sorts of wierd electrical gremlins if these wires are broken including problems with the dash clocks and battery drain,central locking etc...to name a few
It's amazing, I can't believe how much of the car depends on this bootlid harness.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
About 3 days ago, my boot lock stopped on the central locking, and also kept getting a Check Control message about my number plate light.

So thought i'd give this a bash, and this is what I was greeted with:

I checked the whole length of the cables, but it was only cut at the top !

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
happened to me as well, last year, resulting in no central locking, no fuel gauge, no speedo and no windows working. they can be a big pain in the arse, those boot lid wires.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
True but at least thats a known area to look at..imagine having those symptoms and the bootlid wires are fine...it'd take forever trying to find any broken cables elsewhere in the loom :eek
amen! you can say that again! i hate these bloody electric problems.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yup, mine went conveniently day after buying it!!

Just to add, its also worth checking the fuse box under the bonnet too, cut wires can cause fuse failures too. My n/s Angels werent working, the cig lighter fuse was the culprit???!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys.I had the same prolem.After reading this, I checked the wires and found three faults.I connected and insulated them with electrical masking tape.My central lock system works, agin.Three Cheers to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cabrio

will this harness be the same on a convertable version...
as passenger door doesn't work on central locking, dash plays up,
if the harness is the same is there a possibility that this could be the effects of that loom to make these parts play up on the car??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts