BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the car is bright red and as you would expect with a car this age its not actually bright red anymore, in the sun it looks orange but most of the time it's almost pink.

the bonnet and spoiler is the worst bit as they both have white bits in the lines that go from front to rear of the car and the bonnet has a patch of white which i have tried to get out.

i have used so far.

autoglym resin
turtle wax polish
t-cut

i mixed the turtle wax together with the t-cut because i read the t-cut can be to harsh for the paint so i did a 50/50 mix but it still looks the same with faded red and white bits but all i have now is a bit of a mirrored finish.

how can i get this red back without having to respray the whole car? that alone would cost more than the car is worth.

dave.

·
Registered
387 Posts
being a car valeter i can and would use g3 compound and give it a full mop them polish a cple times after the mop. or if ya wanna go all out ya can flat and polish using 1500 sand paper. depends how good u are with these methods?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Is it possible that the "white bits" on what I take to be the edges of the lines in the bonet are where the red has already been buffed through and more buffing will make it worse?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've got some g3 paste in the cupboard, i'll give it a try tomorrow.

the lacquer isn't peeling but if i rub my finger over it with polish it goes but when its dry it comes back.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If you use t cut or anything with a cloth does the cloth go pink?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'd recommend g3 with a rotary buffer. Like you said the lacquer isn't peeling so plenty of water and g3 should do the trick. A coat of SRP to bring up the shine properly after compounding it and it should look near on perfect unless your fussy like me and want to use a product called presta swirl remover before applying the SRP:thumbsup

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you use t cut or anything with a cloth does the cloth go pink?
i rubbed quite hard in small circles with t-cut and polish mixed 50/50 and ended with a pink cloth. is that good or bad?

the t-cut is a pinky colour already.

i will get myself a rotary buffer as i dont have one, i keep meaning to get one :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Was going to say use g3 as thats the best stuff to use as i used it when i worked in a bodyshop

·
Registered
178 Posts
don't mix the t-cut with wax - t-cut and other polishes are abrasive (t-cut particularly so due to what it is intended to do), compared to a wax being a protective layer.

Polishing & Waxing cars are two different things. There is no such thing as a "wax polish", it is either one or the other.

A rotary polisher will make the job easier, but this is a polishing job than can be done by hand, if you have the patence. By the sounds of things, t-cut on its own is AT LEAST as abrasive as you need, if not something stronger.

Once you have the colour restored, wax the car on a regular basis to keep the paint protected. Polishing may still be required a couple of times a year, but the waxing needs to be regular.

Reactions: daveb948576

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok when i get the chance again i will give it a good rubbing with t-cut and then wax it. thanks for that :)

we'll see how it goes over the next few days, i'm not allowed out at the moment due to me looking after two kids on my own today.

i think some kind of electric tool would make it easier due to how long it takes. i'd put a sponge on my angle grinder but i cant vary the speed of it so i wont do that lol i could imagine the paint falling off! :lol

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
ok when i get the chance again i will give it a good rubbing with t-cut and then wax it. thanks for that :)

we'll see how it goes over the next few days, i'm not allowed out at the moment due to me looking after two kids on my own today.

i think some kind of electric tool would make it easier due to how long it takes. i'd put a sponge on my angle grinder but i cant vary the speed of it so i wont do that lol i could imagine the paint falling off! :lol
Hahaha mate i've used an angle grinder before with a light dimmer switch attached in series to control it, let me find that pic..:hihi

You'll be amazed what you can do when you need a car on the road :thumbsup

·
Registered
218 Posts
HAHA that roundy abit riskey!, hope you get it looking better then current dave, ive seen a few red bm's with the fade like your saying, using a powertool is so much easier tho just be careful on the edges as youl be amazed at how easy it is to go too far!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
i rubbed quite hard in small circles with t-cut and polish mixed 50/50 and ended with a pink cloth. is that good or bad?

the t-cut is a pinky colour already.

i will get myself a rotary buffer as i dont have one, i keep meaning to get one :)

Assuming your car is not a blatantly clear over base colour as I haven't seen it then............

Both.

If the cloth is pink and none of those coloured waxes been used then your laquer is never going to peel either because:
  1. You don't have any laqueur, it's either a plain colour because cutting clear laquer does not leave the colour of the car on the rag - there is no colour in it...........
  2. ......or you (or someone)has already cut through the laquer
There fore is you have white lines down the bonnet ridges the no1 cause is too much cutting / buffing. Very common with inexperienced use of power tools for buffing.

Sounds to me like the white stuff in the paint is the primer showing through.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i'll take a close up picture of the bonnet in the morning :)

its fading quite badly around the washer jets as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahaha mate i've used an angle grinder before with a light dimmer switch attached in series to control it, let me find that pic..:hihi
your a nutter! but what did you put on the end of it? lol

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
your a nutter! but what did you put on the end of it? lol
It was a normal m13 compounding head. Had to knock this contraption up as an emergency cos I lent my buffer out to a mate and needed the folks car de-scratched quickly :shifty: I wouldn't use it to detail the whole car, the kickback/shaking is mental. But to remove a 6" scratch it worked perfect.

I picked up my buffer for around £60 with a 6 speed control/soft start function. Its the different type of heads that will set you back a bit.

HTH :thumbsup

·
Registered
387 Posts
HAHA that roundy abit riskey!, hope you get it looking better then current dave, ive seen a few red bm's with the fade like your saying, using a powertool is so much easier tho just be careful on the edges as youl be amazed at how easy it is to go too far!
the powertool is called a mop, and if ya like ya car to look mint then they well worth having, mine cost me £150 its a bluepoint one and is worth its weight in gold lol.:thumbsup

·
Registered
106 Posts
To be honest, Every red car i've had has faded pink. Hence why i would never have a red car again (unless its maroon).

I think a machine polish as someone mentioned would be a good start, or at least speak to a professional who does it every day, they can advise you if its worth trying or not.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Just to add a bit more to this thread. A normal wax by hand should bring up the colour, if it doesn't then it definatley needs compounding.

Doesn't matter how much you spend on a orbital mate, theres a good one on ebay which my cousin uses in his bodyshop at the moment (silver something or the other). You just need to practice with it first and keep on top of the wax process and you shouldn't need to machine polish your car for a long long long long long time :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts