BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help my 97 e36 318i started rough idling. I serched the internet and found a thread that mentioned the idle control valve and how to clean it. I took off the throttle body and top manifold cleaned them, and proceeded to look for the idle control valve but couldn't see it. (i'm assuming I have a different type of engine)

I carefully put everything back together as i;m no mechanic and started my car fine. After a short run the car overheated. I thought I may have an air lock and tried bleeding but to no avail.

I have checked the oil cap and no signs of milky residue and exhaust is not blowing out clouds of smoke. there is no heat from heater what have I done wrong?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Can u see any coolant leaks from anywhere at all?

did you replace all connections/plugs and coolant lines to the inlet manifold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will retrace my steps tomorrow (in the daylight) couldn't see any coolant leaks but again will have to check in daylight hours. Will update tomorrow I knew I shouldn't have tinkered.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
cant see that you've done anything to disturb the coolant system there.
it may just be coincidence tbh.

There are 2 coolant lines going to the inlet.............one is quite small and is plumbed just underneath the throttle body:thumbsup

But Mark is right..........could also be another issue.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Have you topped you coolant up recently? If it's been over-filled you won't get much/any heat out of the heater, and it could trap an airlock causing it to overheat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SOLVED! there is a pipe that comes off the back of the block and the plastic lug that the pipe fits onto was split and losing coolant. I removed trhe pipe and managed to pull away the split bit of the platic. I reattached the pipe bled the system and hey presto. Also the erratic idling has gone (touch wood) :thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts