BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, its time to put some more power under the hood, never done a swap before and have searched high and low for a tutorial with no luck.

firstly is this a worth while swap, I want a simple swap as its my 1st one maybe theirs a better swap thats just as if not more straight forward

I currently have a 97 plate e36 316i saloon and got my hands on a 95 plate bmw 520i as a donor car.

will it be a straight swap or will I need modded engine mounts; will I need to change box and axel if so would the one from the 520 fit the 316?

If anyone has link(s) they could share with me as i'm sure this must have been done before.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi, its time to put some more power under the hood, never done a swap before and have searched high and low for a tutorial with no luck.

firstly is this a worth while swap, I want a simple swap as its my 1st one maybe theirs a better swap thats just as if not more straight forward

I currently have a 97 plate e36 316i saloon and got my hands on a 95 plate bmw 520i as a donor car.

will it be a straight swap or will I need modded engine mounts; will I need to change box and axel if so would the one from the 520 fit the 316?

If anyone has link(s) they could share with me as i'm sure this must have been done before.
simply dont bother with a 2.0 MUCH BETTER WITH A 2.5 :thumbsup

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a relativly easy swap though, as its the 1st one I will be doing I need it to be simple as pos.

Any links with a guide would be apreciated!

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Forget it. Sell it and buy a 320i.

The bare engine will be okay but you will need an E36 sump and oil pick up, a complete engine loom with ECU, EWS set up, ignition key, engine mounts, rad, 6 cyl front anti roll bar, complete exhaust, instrument cluster, front brakes etc etc etc.

Unless you're fitting a 2.5, a total waste of time and effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts