BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just a quick one really.Been looking into getting a few more bhp out of the old 316i m43 engine and looking on realoem the 318i m43 engine is the same with all the same part numbers about from the lower intake manifold so i was thinking if i get a lower intake manifold from a 318i m43 engine and put it on my 316i m43 i should get that extra 10 bhp.Do you think this will work

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Save your pennies up and stick an M44 16v engine in out of a 318is. This will be the best bang for buck you will get out of a 316. :thumbsup
They are not worth tuning...:frown

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im saving up to put in a 2.5 but as this intake will be for free thought it maybe worth trying

·
Registered
221 Posts
how would the part numbers be the same from the engine being a 1.6 to a 1.8? the cylinder bore size will be different and so will the pistons, the ecu will also be different and be set with a different map, you will not gain 10 bhp from putting on a different inlet manifold, the most restrictive piece on the intake is the air flow meter.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the piston and block on the 318i is less then 1mm bigger then the 316i piston and block.May just give it a try and see from there if there is no diffence i would of only wasted half hour of my life lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
it may just improve drivability so worth a shot or if your really lucky might blow those heavy 6 pots away lol (awaits abuse )
your gonna get a slap from me in a minute :lol "joking"

the piston maybe under a mm bigger but what about the stroke? the compression ratio the camshaft lift and duration, the list goes on, we can go into engine temp control and ecu maps air flow sensing fuel timing spark timing. . . .

fit it and say WOW i made an improvement! BUT you will have to prove this :lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts