BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While the interior is stripped for some substantial ICE work I thought I would get the parcel shelf retrimmed, as the cloth is not stuck down in places.

It has bugged me for ages, because when you drive with the windows down, you can see the cloth floating about in the rear view mirror.

I thought it would be simple but so far the vehicle trimmers I have spoken to and visited are not confident they can do it.

It is a stretchy cloth over thin foam and due to the extreme contours of the shelf they don't think it will work.

Has anyone had this done?

I am thinking if it's not possible to reupholster about a paint finish, but not keen on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

gix

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
don't you fancy having a go at it yourself gixxxer. 10mm foam stuck down with contact adhesive then maybe the original covering or some alcantara or suade once again stuck with adhesive. the shape is already there. just a thought mate.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I will have to have a go myself, easier to do it your self:~)
Got that much on at the mo, could have done with farming it out.
The alcantara is mega money, been quoted £80-£100 / sq metre. Would need 2 metres.
May try with some cheaper fabric and have a practice.
Why is nothing easy?

·
Registered
203 Posts
try www.woolies-trim.co.uk . They sent me a sample of an alcatara type material which may be good enough for the rear shelf. I think it was only about £10-20 per metre and it looked quite good.
I cant see it on their website so you might need to give them a call - they will send you a sample.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
try www.woolies-trim.co.uk . They sent me a sample of an alcatara type material which may be good enough for the rear shelf. I think it was only about £10-20 per metre and it looked quite good.
I cant see it on their website so you might need to give them a call - they will send you a sample.
Will do ta!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Up date on shelf retrim.

Thanks to barneymagru for the link. I got the materials from Woolies, very helpful and they have everything you would need.

I opted for a brushed nylon with a foam backing, virtually OEM. I didn't go for the alcantera as it has less stretch and I didn't want to test my upholstery skills any further than necessary. The nylon is about £15 for 1m x1.5m.

The old covering came off easy; the contact adhesive however did not. I found standard thinners worked best. I think it's worth spending the time cleaning it up to give the best chance of a good bond on the new fabric.

I started in the middle and worked outwards, concentrating on the main flat surfaces and then did the edges, and then the inside of the speaker holes once I cut the spare fabric to allow some slack.

DON'T GET SPRAY TACK ON THE GOOD SIDE. It does tend to get blown around by the force of the spray. I used some paper to cover certain parts that were a little risky.

It looks a lot better now in the flesh. Worth doing, even though it took most of the day, but I did take my time.

A few pics. for you.

Cheers gix.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Look great!!!!!

Gareth

·
Registered
73 Posts
nice job mate - i know who to go to now then when i need reupholster - *ring ring* hi gixxer muhaha :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts