BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else had a problem with the alarm coming on in the rain? When it's dry there's no problem but as soon as it rains it comes on.

The previous owner had the wing mirrors bolted and alarmed. Could it be something to do with this?

A broad question I know but there's a slim chance that someone has had the same problem.

·
Registered
230 Posts
stating the obvious but yes it sounds like rain is getting into whatever circuitry / sensor the previous owner fitted in the wing mirrors, a liberal dosing of WD40 behind each mirror may be enough to keep it at bay.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
the PO may have used some crappy scotch type connector to make the connections. if this is the case, throw them away, solder the wires together, then cover with heat shrink. that usually keeps the moisture out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok - slight update. It appears that the passenger door sensor could be amiss as this morning the window was slightly retracted (as if the door handle had been lifted). I closed the door and set off and after about 4 mins the window came down again and the interior lights came on as if the door had been opened. Looks like the door / handle sensor doesn't like getting wet... Is this easy to get at or is there an easy fix for this common (I hope) problem.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh the power of WD40 - a few squirts and a wiggle of the door lock mechanism and it all works. There's very little wear on the passenger door so I'm assuming it's because the car had been standing for about 10 months in a garage before I bought it and the mechanism had gotten a bit gunked up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts