BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hoe easy is it replace the heatshield that fits between the underside of the boot floor and the double canister silencers on my 528 ? I guess its an exhaust off job is it ? Has anyone replaced theirs yet ? I have bought a new one and can see the old one rattling about as the fixing holes are now bigger than the securing nuts !!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi I had the same problem but managed to fix it in place. I removed the rusted nut and washer, which was now smaller than the corroded hole in the heatshield, and replaced it with a bigger washer with a small hole in the middle and just to make sure I fitted a rubber washer (heat resistant) underneath the metal washer to act as a galvanic isolator. It worked a treat and meant I didnt have to remove the exhaust.:thumbsup

Hope this helps:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
exhaust heat shield

cheers for that - i did think about doing that myself as i saw a post on another site offering the same solution - only trouble is I have a brand spanking new heatshield going to waste then - unless i wait until it falls off altogether !! At least it will do as a temporary fix until the back boxes need replacing and can fit the new shield at the same time.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
It is a exhaust off job ideally, or you at least need to drop it down some, due to the heavy weight of the system you will be best to drop the rear box off rather than let the rear hang down unless you do have it supported by a jack. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts