BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this, I hope I have posted this question in the right place if not I am sure the mods will move it for me.

I have a '97 e39 5 series, I was messing around with the trip meter button and put the display in a test mode, I don't know how I managed it but I have changed the A/C display to Fahrenheit from the Centigrade that it was before, also the outside temperature is showing 'F' instead of 'C'.

Can anyone possible know how to change it back again and if so PLEASE can you let me know, I will be very happy.

Thank you for your help, await in anticipation.

cheers Paul

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,035 Posts
Hi, I am new to this, I hope I have posted this question in the right place if not I am sure the mods will move it for me.

I have a '97 e39 5 series, I was messing around with the trip meter button and put the display in a test mode, I don't know how I managed it but I have changed the A/C display to Fahrenheit from the Centigrade that it was before, also the outside temperature is showing 'F' instead of 'C'.

Can anyone possible know how to change it back again and if so PLEASE can you let me know, I will be very happy.

Thank you for your help, await in anticipation.

cheers Paul
Hi Paul

Hmm...sounds like you inadvertently entered test mode and changed some functions.
Heres a possible wayto get it back

This is what happened to someone else with a similiar model (same OBC - on board computer)

Today I go to turn the key to position one, and I didn't hold it far enough, and after the dash lights came on briefly, they went off. When I started the sequence again, my outside temperature gauge had changed from Fahrenheit to Celsius. I though this was a Dealer programable option, and wondered how I had changed it. When I got home, I turned the car off then on again, and it was still reading Celsius. Remembering what I had done, I pushed the trip odometer, then briefly turned the key to position one, then let it spring back off, and checked and my readout went back to Fahrenheit.

I am just going to leave it and not play with it any more
;)

If that doesnt work...have a read of this..

E39 OBC

i dont see anything pertinent to your particular issue and you certainly dont want to go into the 'adding the vin numbers bit'

But I would say if your still stuck it may be an idea to call past your local friendly BMW dealer.
The technician may well do it for nothing if your lucky? (but I doubt it with BMW!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks

Many thanks for reply, I will give it a play with tomorrow and will post the results, I have booked it in with a garage for Saturday week, he said he would put the computer on it and change it, its going to cost £25. The cheapest I got quoted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Done it...

Boostist, I can't thank you enough, it bl**dy worked, so simple just push trip reset button and turn ignition to position 1 for a split second and then off.
;) ;)
thank you, thank you, thank you.....

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Paul

Hmm...sounds like you inadvertently entered test mode and changed some functions.
Heres a possible wayto get it back

This is what happened to someone else with a similiar model (same OBC - on board computer)

;)

If that doesnt work...have a read of this..

E39 OBC

i dont see anything pertinent to your particular issue and you certainly dont want to go into the 'adding the vin numbers bit'

But I would say if your still stuck it may be an idea to call past your local friendly BMW dealer.
The technician may well do it for nothing if your lucky? (but I doubt it with BMW!)
I know this thread is from last year but thought I'd resurect it to say thanks!

Just got my e39 back from a garage after having the break fluid changed and the temperature on the dash and the climate control was in farenheight instead of centigrade. Took it back and they hooked it up to the computer to try and sort it out but could not find anything on their computer to do it. The mechanic was going to have a hunt on the net to find a solution but it seems I beat him to it :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts