BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I went for a fairly long run on the motorway today, normally the temp gauge does not go past the halfway mark..
Today however it stayed just about the 1/4 mark at 70mph for about 30 miles? It did not however rise above the half way point at any stage of the journey.
I have check the oil and water (both correct)
fan is working correctly as well??

Is this normal, and does the external temperature affect this?

Thanks for any info on this.
:confused

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Try bleeding the cooling system out and see how you get on (could be just an air lock).

However, I'd personally be looking at a new thermostat (£7 part) and also keep an eye on your coolant level.

The temp gauge should always warm up quickly and stay at the 1/2 way point regardless of conditions. Anything else and you have issues to some extent.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try that tomorrow DSK.. Fingers crossed.. best to catch any problems now rather than wait for them to manifest into a huge wallet busting repair on the 328's i guess
Again, the advice is much appreciated.. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
fwiw, I notcied I had a minor crack in my thermostat housing, could only smell coolant but no visible leaks.

I just changed the the thermostat housing, thermostat, o-ring and upgraded the the water pump with a metal impellar unit and a v-belt. Got all the premium parts from GSFCP for approximatley £60/65. On our cars everything is on the same place, so if you do 1 part, may as well do the whole lot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As i am unsure of the waterpump on mine..(metal or plastic) and due to the high failure rate of the plastic ones. I think it may be time to change/upgrade regardless.
And as you have quite rightly said, as its all in the same location, it makes sense to do a full coolant system overhaul..At those sort of prices, i think i would be mad not to.

Cheers DSK

·
Registered
313 Posts
same as dsk, was proly stuck thermostat but did the whole lot inc. belts and metal pump from gsf. (miele pump). think it sounds like stuck thermo stuck open or closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts