BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just wondering, has anyone on here done the fan delete mod, removing the viscious fan & replacing with an electric fan?

I'd be interested in this, as I would expect it should release a few bhp, give better mpg & at the same time, possibly make the cooling system a little more efficient.

Anyone know of a UK based retailer that does this kit? It seems very popular in the states, but not so over here.
Regards.

Stu

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The fan delete mod in the states is actually that, delete the fan, add some water wetter and that's it :wide-eyed..............:duh to them crazy people

Proper people add a electric fan like you want to do, the majority of BMW e36's in the USA have Aircon so have a fan already should it get really hot and they need to rid some heat.

You could try here http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/fans/consumers/orderep.html.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ronnie

That's right, that is what I want to, junk the viscious fan & replace with an electric fan.

Do you know of anyone in the UK that make a kit for this? Or what would be needed? New fan switch, thermostat?
Can it be used with standard coolant?

What kind of performance increase could I expect to see, if any?

Thanks for your help.

Stu

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi Ronnie

That's right, that is what I want to, junk the viscious fan & replace with an electric fan.

Do you know of anyone in the UK that make a kit for this? Or what would be needed? New fan switch, thermostat?
Can it be used with standard coolant?

What kind of performance increase could I expect to see, if any?

Thanks for your help.

Stu

What we used to do is get hold of KENLOWE fans and mount them to the rad, Google Kenlowe (cant remember the EXACT web add) does your Rad have a blank for a temp sensor? if so ten get hold of a rated temp sensor and plug that in its place- again, Kenlowe do these aswell or get the standard one from the likes of GSF/ECP..................then its is just a matter of wiring up the fan and swicth- easy stuff- power, earth and switch feed from the temp sensor...................if your rad does not have a blank for a temp sensor - then what you need is an adaptor boss sleeve that you clamp between the top rad hose- you splice the hose and just clamp this in-line- a temp sensor is then screwed onto it........again, Kenlowe can do these or somewhere like Demon Tweeks.

not too sure whether it really improved BHP.....................but it certainly does improve reliability over those duff viscos fans and improves cooling, which I suppose does help in performace....we mainly did this mod to highly modified turbo'd/supercharged cars since they tend to run alot hotter than the normally aspirated cars.

Personally dude, if my car was not runnning a turbo or a blower-I would not bother with this mod.......too much hassle and not really needed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Slacker-ray, I used to use Kenlowe's with Mini's, many moons ago & really found a noticable increase in the cars performance, but then I supose, when you are talking about 60'ish bhp, any slight mod is going to make the world of difference, lol.

I'll post up any results I get back from Kenlowe, in case anyone is interested.
Regards.

Stu

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks guys.

Slacker-ray, I used to use Kenlowe's with Mini's, many moons ago & really found a noticable increase in the cars performance, but then I supose, when you are talking about 60'ish bhp, any slight mod is going to make the world of difference, lol.

I'll post up any results I get back from Kenlowe, in case anyone is interested.
Regards.

Stu

:hihi................no worries dude..........let us know how you get on:thumbsup

·
Registered
34 Posts
my dad had a e28 525i about five years ago, and he took off the viscious fan and put on an electric jobbie, he noticed a slightly better throttle response, i want to do this mod too, but can you remove the aircon lower cross member? because i've removed my aircon to save weight.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
my dad had a e28 525i about five years ago, and he took off the viscious fan and put on an electric jobbie, he noticed a slightly better throttle response, i want to do this mod too, but can you remove the aircon lower cross member? because i've removed my aircon to save weight.
:confused the part under the radiator? anything here? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BF32&mospid=47430&btnr=41_0043&hg=41&fg=10

You got a picture as I can't think of the bit you mean? http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f71/how-to-post-pictures-and-add-signatures-or-t2682/

·
Registered
34 Posts
its the 6inch deep panel which bolts to the bumper mounts, and the aircon fan bolts to it, this is it on ebay, item no 170153253338, can it be removed? thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Don't honestly know, it's number 13 in link above, it may weaken the front if removed, why don't you put a fan the other side between the engine and rad?

They do thin ones

1 - 11 of 11 Posts