BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

im having som serious problems diagnosing whats wrong with my car. i bought it off my brother as he fried the engine and seen the opportunity as an ideal project.

i took out the old engine and replaced it. this is where the bemusement begins. the engine i bought from my local car scrappy which was tested and fully operational when i bought it.

after i installed it and got everything plumbed in, no mistakes were made on installation and ive double and triple checked everything involvved in the instalation.

once everything was installed i proceeded to start up the car. the easiest way to describe the problem is it sounds like its only running on 1 cylinder.
i have since tested everything i can think of, checked that the ignition system works, fuel pressure, tried a new MAF. ive had my local garage put it on the computer and it has came up "unknown error".

the only thing i can think of now is ECU. my budget i allowed for the project running out fast now and i dont want to go spending any unneccesary monies so any help or advice from yoursleves would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance and my apologies for the huge essay!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you say youve tested everything can you expand a little?

Have you started with the simple things, fuel and spark? My personal fav and super quick easy way for fuel is to just use node lights on the injector harness. Ok it doesnt tell you if your injector is actually blocked, but thats fairly rare and it at least tells you that you have an injector pulse (or not) at each injector.

Kick it old school for plugs, pull them out plug them in and arc them out. A thick glove and a little bit of 'man up' and you know if youce got spark.

Right in the case that you have done all these things then my next port of call would probably be a compression test as youve taken it to the garage and its not saying any sensor is playing up. I would be concerned at your garages equipment though if it simply said unknown error?

Someone who knows their beans with a decent bit of equipment (this is not me by the way) would have your car running and check the sensors indivually. i.e. your crank sensor should be reading ?? and show ??ohm or amps. Im not to clever but my friend is a very good mechanic and has often used this method to find problems that I have in the past been unable to find. Autodata has stacks of useful info for testing individual sensors.
let us all known how you get on and if you solve it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts