BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a p reg 318ti
and the litte bugger has decided to fail the MOT on.... yes emissions:hissyfit
now all the other levels on the emissions form are ok well under the max but CO is like 5476 i think off the top of my head when it should be 3000.
ive got it in the garage at the mo having a breather tube checked (man in garage said this might help. oooooook i dunno) and they are fitting a new lambard sensor.
it had new plugs and oil about 6 months ago
and has done 98999 miles
what im asking is is this likely to sort it?
is there any majical add to petrol thingy that will help?
and while you are here ive been toying with the idea of having a dump valve fitted to her, how hard is this and is it likely to improve her much (is it worth the effort) she goes like stink at the mo and gives scoobys a run for their money lol :rofl

·
Registered
225 Posts
when mine failed it was a dodgy backbox,so possibly check its ok?
try an additive such as redex or similar and take it for a shoeing..try to make sure when you take it to get tested next time the engine is nice and warm too!
;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
10k Powerboost will clean the engine out getting rid of the carbon deposits inside your engine, it aint cheap (£15 odd if i remember) but it works well. You could pour some red-ex down into the cylinders, leave it overnight and then give it a good run (will look like the red arrows!) When you take it for retest boot it there, keeping the revs nice and high and leave it running when you get to the test centre, so you keep the cat nice and hot. Worth a go

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If the CAT itself if OK, then as mentioned the likely culprits are as follows;

- faulty 02 sensor (had my 2 replaced at circa £65 each from ECP)
- faulty MAF which in turn will make the reading from the 02 sensor inaccurate
- fuel injectors in bad shape will cause the same as above

As for magic additives, I'm not a fan of them, but Wynns do a Pre MOT test cleaner, how well it works, I don't know.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
ive been toying with the idea of having a dump valve fitted to her, how hard is this and is it likely to improve her much (is it worth the effort) she goes like stink at the mo and gives scoobys a run for their money lol :rofl
dump valves are for turbo engines,so fitting one wont improve your performance one jot ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.