BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps,

I bought my E36 in November and ever since having it i've noticed that the doors lock themselves automatically. It seems to happen when I turn the ignition on but not always, sometimes it's when I press the clutch, go into gear or when I pull away.

I haven't put much thought into it so it could just happen after a particular time interval and it's co-incidence that I happen to be pressing the clutch, going into gear etc....

I have assumed that it's a safety feature to stop people jacking you in traffic LOL. But, thinking about it...it's probably not very safe in an accident if the doors are locked for the emergency services!! Also, if i'm working on car under the hood but need the engine running i'm paranoid that it's going to lock me out so I always make sure the window's open!!

The car came with a Toad alarm, can you tell me if it's supposed to do it or if there's a fault please?

Cheers
Mike :hihi

·
Registered
183 Posts
normally there set to lock after you reach about 10-15mph.

I have assumed that it's a safety feature to stop people jacking you in traffic LOL. But, thinking about it...it's probably not very safe in an accident if the doors are locked for the emergency services!! Also, if i'm working on car under the hood but need the engine running i'm paranoid that it's going to lock me out so I always make sure the window's open!!
thats why they do that but normally they have a seecond feature that if you unlock it but don't open the doors the car will lock itself after a minute.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the car definately locks itself sometimes before i've even moved. Anything simple I can look at or will I be spending hours looking all over the place just to not find the problem? It's no biggy but if there's something easy to check then let me know your opinions.

Nice 1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not heard of auto drive away locking on an E36 :confused. My first thoughts would be check the boot wiring.
Maybe a silly question but any particular reason why the boot? Also, what exactly am I looking for. I'm not very good when it comes to electrics....ask me how to put some cogs & springs back together and i'm your man but electrics pickle my brain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, just been looking up on Toad alarms and some do come with an auto-lock/unlock on ignition feature so I assume it must be that as when I turn the ignition off the car unlocks itself.

From the Toad website....

Two random-encrypted 2 button, anti scan/grab, programmable transmitters (with optional customised cases available), ultrasonic interior protection, perimeter protection (door, boot & bonnet), single circuit immobilisation, distress alert, boot release control output, pager/additional siren output, intelligent re-arm and passive arm, silent or selectable interior sensor exculsion facility, intrusion attempt alert, activated zone indication, pre-warn facility, valet mode, secure PIN override and limited lifetime warranty plus universal remote central locking and auto lock/unlock with ignition

Surely it's gotta be that!?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey peeps,

I bought my E36 in November and ever since having it i've noticed that the doors lock themselves automatically. It seems to happen when I turn the ignition on but not always, sometimes it's when I press the clutch, go into gear or when I pull away.

I haven't put much thought into it so it could just happen after a particular time interval and it's co-incidence that I happen to be pressing the clutch, going into gear etc....

The car came with a Toad alarm, can you tell me if it's supposed to do it or if there's a fault please?

Cheers
Mike :hihi
Your right with it been a jacking feature matie, Mine has a sigma fitted that locks you in the same, When you start your car and it locks you in just pull on your inside door opener once and your door buttons will pop up as you probably have to pull on it twice to get out once pops locks up twice opens the door, Know exactly what you mean about been paranoid when your working on it, I feel the same and the sigma also has total closure so I always have to leave the hatch open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi ive a 318 is coupe with a clifford matrix that has the anti hyjack mode it locks 10 sec after ingn on an unlocks wen switchd off toad do the same on some ov ther systems

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.