BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, between 5K and 6K I've noticed a sound which sounds a bit like someone running a tap coming from the rear end of the car (I'm assuming the fuel pump). Is it normal for the fuel flow to be quite loud at high revs or is there likely to be a problem (I haven't noticed a fuel smell so I don't think it's a leak)?

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried holding the high revs for longer and the sound did move more towards the front left of the car (assuming fuel filter) so is it worth replacing this as a precautionary measure or is it more likely to be earlier in the system (ideally don't want to pull the fuel pump unless necessary)?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would get the car jacked up onto stands and have a good listen from underneath, also lift the rear seat base up as the fuel pump is right under it, you should get a good idea then.

And yes number 5 in link above is the gauze.

If the noise is from the pump then try changing the gauze and fuel filter, otherwise you will need a pump.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I've tried removing the rear bench and seemed to be coming from the driver side of the rear (that said it's quite hard to tell from the drivers seat). The fuel pump it self didn't seem to be grinding or anything that would make me think pump failure, although it did whir pretty loudly. It doesn't seem to make the sound unless under load as I've tried revving it in neutral, I'll have another go though.

I've ordered a new fuel filter and I'll check the gauze when the tank's lower. Appreciate the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.