BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody like my thread title...:hihi:hihi

The peugeot forums Ive come across have not been any help and has this isnt really peugeot specific. Just an alternator question I thought I was ask you friendly bunch for advice...:thumbsup

I bought THIS car for my missis (first car!) in July10 and tbh as been a bit of a PITA already needing a new battery and glow plugs. Only paid £400ish fo it so didnt wana fork out on extras!

I have now had to order a alternator :frown As after a little investigation I think the current one is on its way out. I have keep swapping batterys every few days and chraging them etc!

This is the alternator I have bought it best be the right one! :eek

I managed to get it for £75 (with the 20% code :D) which I thought was really good as I was getting quotes from breakers yards online for between £50-£60 used.

I have searched online. And 'apperently' changing a alternator is a piece of pi$$. Is this true? The alternator itself seem relativly easy to access (drivers side front/bottom of engine bay) is there any thing I should be aware of or any help/tips etc as Im a bit of n00b when it comes to DIY :embarrassed

Im dammed if Im paying £50 (couple of quotes ive had to fit) if I can do it myself. Or if someones local and likes the taste of beer then I wouldnt mind a 2nd pair of eyes watching me making sure I dont fcuk anything up!

Any help/advice is appreciated. :) Sorry for long-ish post.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yeh simple job, perhaps disconnect battery first makes everything safe (not sure it necessary bit can't hurt) take the wireing off the alternator, take belt off. Not sure but on that car the alternator might also tension the belt, if so loosen the bolts of the alternator to get the belt off and then swap alternator and retention belt etc
Simples :thumbsup

HTH

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,133 Posts
If I lived closer I would do it for u dude. As above pretty simple job, once you have taken the old one off it will give you a better idea of how they work. Need any help give us a shout :thumbsup

·
BFuk Moderator
2,680 Posts
Stick a rope on it and tow it down Sunday, we can chuck it in the Thames and let it p1ss off back to France.....no..no....no.....thats not what i meant to say.....i meant to say...

Lovely car, if you can do HID's then the alternator will be no prob :thumbsup

·
Registered
737 Posts
Stick a rope on it and tow it down Sunday, we can chuck it in the Thames and let it p1ss off back to France.....no..no....no.....thats not what i meant to say.....i meant to say...

Lovely car, if you can do HID's then the alternator will be no prob :thumbsup
well keep the gti's though:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alternator will be easy to swap ;) and whats the 20% code you speak of
CLICK ME...:thumbsup

Some peeps say its valid til the 9th and some say all month. I tried the other day and it didnt work. But tried again on Sunday and it worked fine...:D

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alternator fitted this afternoon. Took me bl00dy ages though :frown

That engine bay has about no room to work in! :mad ended pulling half the front end of just so I could pull the old alternator out once it was disconnected.

Im so glad I didnt pay some garage £50 to fit it. Yeah its taking me the best part of the afternoon, but at least next time I'll know what im doing...:)

All in all a job well done, feel free to pat me on the back ;)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts

That engine bay has about no room to work in! :mad ended pulling half the front end of just so I could pull the old alternator out once it was disconnected.

Im so glad I didnt pay some garage £50 to fit it. Yeah its taking me the best part of the afternoon, but at least next time I'll know what im doing...:)

Welcome to my job, :lol

Well done mate, :hihi.............:thumbsup

·
BFuk Moderator
2,680 Posts

Nice one mate :thumbsup with the well renown French reliability you'll find it easy when it goes again....next month :hihi

·
Registered
7 Posts

Even easier if it had been an E36 :thumbsup Took me literally 20mins to swap mine out :cool

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even easier if it had been an E36 :thumbsup Took me literally 20mins to swap mine out :cool
Hopefully her next car will be a E36 compact :hyper

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wanna buy mine? get the ecu sorted and it'll be a dream :thumbsup
Not after spending money on this french piece of crAp. Guna run it into the ground first :hihi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts