BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
It would have originally been fitted with a nikasil block but many were replaced by BMW. I can't check by engine number (others on here maybe able to!) but this link below should show you how to quickly check.

http://forum.bmwcarmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=40620]

Good luck! Whilst Nikasil is a big problem there are still thousands of nikasil cars out there going strong with big mileages.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Does the problam not eminate form fuel that had high levels of sulphur, basicly bad batches??
Yes and no. The majority of damage was caused by high levels of sulphur in fuel (particualry in the north of the UK) in the late 1990's. Problem is once the damage is done, that's it.

You still hear of many nikasil blocks failing these days.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you no your way round an engine, if you look at nearside of engine down by starter motor. If there is a copper coloured cap there then its modified block, if there is a circle type hole molded into block still old type block. easiest way can tell you without pics sorry.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In the tuning world a those blocks wold be well recived, they offer good resistance to scoring, excelent seal to rings, low resistance thus low power loss but are prown to glazing easily if the fueling is lean or you drive like an old lady all the time, especialy from new! Fueling is critical for all engines long life but more so coated bores.
I didnt realise some BMW blocks where nicasil.

·
Banned
478 Posts
In the tuning world a those blocks wold be well recived, they offer good resistance to scoring, excelent seal to rings, low resistance thus low power loss but are prown to glazing easily if the fueling is lean or you drive like an old lady all the time, especialy from new! Fueling is critical for all engines long life but more so coated bores.
I didnt realise some BMW blocks where nicasil.
It is a massive worry/talking point about the bmw engines. It seems a lot of people dont know about the problem before buying them and are very worried when they do reading on it.... They have been a massive amount of failures with nikasil engines but many still soldier on. It was a bigger problem in america from what i can tell, due to the higher sulphur content in the fuel. But really i'd want the alusil liners in my engine for piece of mind, but the nikasil engines are still around and the chances are, if they are fine today, then they will be fine tomorrow, as this problem was rectified years ago....:thumbsup

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe my Car has a Nikasil block and this is my take on it... I went into the purchase after doing a fair amount of research... The car probably cost me £1000 less than the alusil lined version. I had the car started when cold and hot, had sniff test done when I bought the car. Now I know it could still fail but the research on Jag forums and BMW forums seems to show the general consensus is that if the car is sound it probably won't fail now (note the probably) still I bought my 5 series for £3000 with 94000 miles on the clock and other than a coolant leak that I have been chasing it seems fine. Not to say it won't have a problem in the future but £3000 for a car like the 5 series is value for money and if it last 3 years I'll be happy anymore than that is a bonus!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine has 108000 on the clock and runs fine.
I'm not to worried about just wondered what symptoms to look out for.
I've tried to look at the n/s of the block but am unable to see anything like the brass nut or the ordinary casting as there is to much pipe work in the way.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Mine has 108000 on the clock and runs fine.
I'm not to worried about just wondered what symptoms to look out for.
I've tried to look at the n/s of the block but am unable to see anything like the brass nut or the ordinary casting as there is to much pipe work in the way.
You will have to look from underneath :thumbsup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.