BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a problem with my bmw 523i auto 1996. I went to start car the other day , starter motor packed up, replaced with new one. No luck. Checked plugs there wet with fuel , but ive replaced with new anyway. Also changed the crankshaft sensor with replaced with new one. Plugs are sparking. Checked fuses all ok. tried easy start still does not start. Put on new battery. Still no good.
But the engine will only turn over if you have got jump leads on front but wont start. Without jump leads on front the starter motor clicks.
I dont know what to try next. PLEASE HELP.:confused:mad

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the clicking is continous when turning the ignition - then you may well have a bad earth connection somewhere - more than likely on the startermotor. Strange that the engine turns over when you have jump leads attached - just check the connections on the battery are also secure.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You sure that your old starter was faulty??

There could be another issue with the car...............it is best to first get the codes read from the ECU.......the problem you have could be sensor related.

The starter clicking is just a sign that your battery is weak..........once you put leads onto it you are giving the battery additional boost so the starter turns over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:frownThe battery is in the boot of the car. But its a new battery the starter motor clicks once even with the jump leads on the battery. If we put the jump leads on the engine The engine will turn over as normal but wont start. Also ive done a diagnostic check no errors found. The old starter motor , the ring gear collapsed inside.
Hope you can help further.

·
Registered
788 Posts
right you may have a couple of problems there , your first problem is definately an earthing fault if the car only turns over when the leads are on the engine, you will have an earth strap that goes from your engine to the body of the car ( usually around the engine mounting area ) you need to clean / repair / replace the earth then make sure you have a full charge in your battery the car should crank without leads on then, after this you can move onto the next fault if you definately have a good spark at all the plugs then it has to be a fuel problem, check the inertia switch before doing anything drastic like changing the pump, after this if there is still no joy give us a update .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The battery is fully charged , but when i turn the key the starter motor only clicks once.
When i connect a jump lead from the live terminal on the battery in the boot round to the engine live peg the car cranks over but still wont start. Disconnect the jump lead then the engine stops turning. Note ;we are only using the live lead and not the earth/negative lead.
Checked the fuses all are ok. i dont know where the inertia switch is to check or if i have to reset it. Hope you can help further.
Thanks to all

·
Registered
788 Posts
you say you changed the starter motor , i know you may have but please check the connections on the starter motor again and make sure you havent left 1 off or knocked 1 off by accident. i would say if the starter motor is connected correctly then you may have a problem with your main live lead in the boot, sometimes the cable can corrode if the insulation has been damaged along its length, you need to find the fault in the link from boot to positive peg before you can continue with the non-start fault.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I think you have 2 problems.

1.battery lead problem, sounds like the live(positive) lead

2.flooded engine, especially if you have a Nikasil engine.

Remove the plugs and see how wet they are

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all, Managed to sort out the starter problem , got the car started. By turning and turning eventually it started. But doesnt sound right.
When we lift the bonnet up, and press the trottle cable the engine chuggs and revs up and seams to be making a sucking noise if we take the oil filler cap off the engine will nearly stall, it ticks over ok but not with out the oil filler cap off. Things we have done so far checked coils all working , checked fuel and pump. replaced spark plugs and crank shaft sensor and battery .And put on a new air flow sensor.
Hope someone can help again please.
Thanks again too all of you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi ronnie ,
It will just about tick over but it chuggs with the oil cap on. When you rev it seams to have a breathing problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All im back again,
Still got the same problem, ive passed it on to 3 different garages here in france. 1 Being a bmw garage. And nobody seams to know what the problem is. Bmw in france are just idiots and were not helpful at all , had it for 2 weeks and said just buy a new car.
The cars had 2 starter motors on now, a crankshaft sensor, all new spark plugs. Been compression tested which is good. And a new battery
I can get the car started only by a booster on the battery, and jump leads on the front to another car and starting it by really pumping the accelerator pedal and turning the key continuously. Eventually it will fire up. Once it gets going it runs ok. And it will fire up again later threw the day with only a little struggle And no jump leads or booster.
I have noticed a slight smell after starting.
Also i have noticed when setting off it will sometimes make a whinning sound .
I am at my wits end now as i really need to get this fixed. And garages over here dont really have a clue , and there only suggestions is replace car or new engine and when they say new they mean new. Loadsa money. Put it on diagnostic machine nothing showing.
I really hope some one out there can help me. Any suggestion appreciated.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:confusedHi mikesmith2,
Thanks for they reply, someone said it could be a fuel pump problem, but i couldnt understand with it being fuel injection how opening and closing the air intake repeatedly by using the throttle with eventually after 5mins would start the engine. Is the the throttle cable some how linked to the fuel injection system.
Checked to make sure there is plenty of fuel coming threw and there is. But the smell from the tail pipe is like something like we have never smelt before, not like normal petrol
fumes, more like some noxious gas we have never smelt before.
Any ideas!!!
Really i dont have any ideas now what the hell it could be.
Hope you can help or anyone out there PLEASE.
Thanks again to all

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Ronnie,
Please excuse my ignorance im not that knowledgable on cars. Just only know basics. I have checked the engine breather pipes and they seam fine but i dont no what im looking for on the vacuum pipes or the induction pipes,ive looked in the haynes manual but carnt find anything. Where would i locate these pipes please.
Thanks for your once again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts