BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be a good idea to change my autobox oil as sometimes the box feels like it doesn't want to change gear especially from cold start up.One day shes fine and others feels like there is no oomph there at all.The car has covered 168k and nothing major has ever gone wrong with her,but I'v read different opinion on this subject. So yes or no whats it to be ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just need to know whether its wise changing oil on this high millage or am i better leaving the box alone any help appreciated

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
One school of thought says the box is sealed for life so leave it alone, however life was never expected to be 150K+ so at 168k it could do with changing.

You'll need to take the sump off the auto box to do it properly (by which I mean cleaning the filter) and make sure you get a new gasket from the dealer. Take your V5 to the dealer and they will confirm the type of auto box you have and the right fluid you need. The fluid type is specific to the box so do not be tempted to put any auto box fluid in, that said once you know the right type you don't need to buy it from the dealer!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, so it shouldn't wreck the box changing the oil on such high millage? and could it remedy some of my issues with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would deffo change the oil at this mileage ... ideally I would do it at half this. Changed mine at 85,000 mls and the colour of the stuff that came out was 'orrible ... very black and well past its best!
Its not a difficult DIY job but it is a bit of a pain ... jacking car up level ... getting new oil in etc., You should ideally 'flush' it first (by just draining and then refilling) without dropping the sump cover. Drive it for a few miles ... or even a day or so, then do an oil change again but this time remove sump cover and renew filter. You'll see lots of guge and copper dust on the filter!! The reason for this is that you can't drain all the old oil out as a litre or so will be in the torque converter ... so doing it twice makes sure that at least 80% or so is renewed.
I think there has been a recent thread with pics on how to do this job ... do a search for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts