BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just recently bought myself a really nice 520i and am alrealdy having a problem with it.

The problem: When I turn the heating on sometimes it blows out cold air and later when it get's hot the car overheats, I thought that it pushes a pipe out in the engine, so I took it to my local garage, they replaced the pipe and the car stopped overheating... until I turned the heater on again! ...also, there is a really weird noise coming out of the climate control unit, it's not that loud, but it sounds like a motor turning (ongoing) even if I switch the engine off.

The garages don't know what it is, I can't drive my car now as it's overheating... don't really know what to do with it.

Anyone?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check when I get home, do you know rougly how much I am looking at if it's the actual problem, as I've just spent lot's of money buying the car and don't really wanna spend more on it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I changed mine myself-takes a few hours and I got the complete heater matrix for £28 on Ebay-however if you going to get the garage to do it they will charge a full days labour on it easily.I am not sure how it is on the E39 as mine is an E36.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh, i did get my heater matrix changed on my e36, cost me a bit though! Will deffinately check when I get home and let you know if it is the heater matrix.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked the passenger side footwell and I can't seem to see any dampening, I can remember the windows steaming up really quickly - especially when I put the heating on! Spoke to another local garage, they will hopefully diagnose the problem, will keep you lot posted. Thanks again!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You need to bleed the cooling system...

How to bleed the cooling system.
1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ronnie, done the above and it worked a treat! ...Until I realised that the was a little leak from the thermostat housing, so it's in the garage now getting replaced, not costing me much but will hopefully be smooth once done.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.