BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed the idle speed of the engine is quite low, around 500-600 rpm, I'm guessing it should be up around the 800 mark. While having a look at the air filter today, I discovered a crack in the piece of piping linking the filter and the air intake manifold.

I'm assuming this is reponsible for the problems, but shouldn't the engine tickover faster as there is more air getting to it? Or is this dependent on where the MAF is?

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will be on the verge of stalling if there is too much air leaking behind the MAF. Take a piece of duct tape, cover up the crack with it, and see if it makes a difference. If the revs are back to normal, you need a new throttle body hose.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will be on the verge of stalling if there is too much air leaking behind the MAF. Take a piece of duct tape, cover up the crack with it, and see if it makes a difference. If the revs are back to normal, you need a new throttle body hose.
Yeah it's leaking behind the MAF, I shall try the duct tape later, even putting my hand over it will make a difference I guess.

How much is a new throttle body hose and the best place to get one?

Cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In that case, you require Part: 13 71 174 1 478 at a cost of £58
Wow, can't believe it's so expensive, might try and get one off a breaker.

Presumably the engine will be more efficient and powerful as a result?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts