BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 1996 730i so I thought I'd join your forum to get some advice.

Link with pictures of the car

The driver's seat won't move as it is powered electrically and there is a fault somewhere. I have removed the switch which didn't look in good shape, as a lot of the plastic was melted. Normally I would just go and buy a new one but I couldn't find any voltages from the wires leading to the switch. This leads me to believe something else might be wrong.

1. Any advice?
2. Where can I get a wiring diagram?
3. Is there anyway I can move the seat manually?

Many thanks,

Harry.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Just bought a 1996 730i so I thought I'd join your forum to get some advice.

Link with pictures of the car

The driver's seat won't move as it is powered electrically and there is a fault somewhere. I have removed the switch which didn't look in good shape, as a lot of the plastic was melted. Normally I would just go and buy a new one but I couldn't find any voltages from the wires leading to the switch. This leads me to believe something else might be wrong.

1. Any advice?
2. Where can I get a wiring diagram?
3. Is there anyway I can move the seat manually?

Many thanks,

Harry.
Hi harry

Please read the posting rules
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f69/bimmerforums-uk-forum-guidelines-t1603/

I have moved this to the correct forum and altered the title

please prefix future ones with

1996 E38 730i - meaningful title

Regarding the seat, I will have a look and see if I can dig out any wiring diagram..

Not being sarcastic but how exactly have you tested the wires for power?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok have noted the above.

I tested for voltage using a multimeter.

I'm wondering if the driver's seat has its own fuse/relay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if its just your wiring, i think i have the wiring harnes for your seat
Oh right sound. My worry is that one or more of the motors have gone. The only way I can explain the melted plastic on the switch casing is due to some sort of current surge.

·
Registered
183 Posts
no, i'm just about finished swaping my interior from gray to dark blue leather. stripped the gray driver seat to get the switch unit out as i needed it for my new one

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, i'm just about finished swaping my interior from gray to dark blue leather. stripped the gray driver seat to get the switch unit out as i needed it for my new one
Cool, if it turns out to be a motor or a wiring problem, how much would you want for all your old stuff?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts