BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas to you all,

I'm new to the forum and am thinking about purchasing an E38 728i 1996 38K on the clock with service history. I've owned one before which was great and I'm hooked! I've heard alot about the Nikasil engine problems and was wondering if going for a low milage 728 would be more of a risk than one thats done lets say 100k. Or is it safe to say that if things haven't gone wrong in 13 years the danger period for that problem has past. Any info welcomed

Cheers

Geoff

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You would be best to look for a e38 that has had the block replaced already with a steel liner one IMO, Nikasil lined blocks still fail now with expensive results, some people have compression tested their engines and been fine then 6 months later had problems due to bore wear

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for your reply, I had some pictures emailed and it wasn't a1 either so not going ahead, think i'm going to go for a 2000/2001 to avoid the issue all together. Geoff

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I have seen quite a few of the face lifted style 2001 models on autotrader for quite attractive money, I guess you should be able to haggle on this sort of car as it won't have a huge market appeal, best of luck car shopping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.