BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas. I've recently started to notice a kind of... 'scraping' noise coming from under handbrake area whilst driving. Its a fairly quiet noise but can be heard when cruising at 50-60 mph and also when traveling slow in 1st or 2nd. Can't hear when accelerating, i think this is due to engine/ exhaust noise.

Is there a centre bearing for the prop-shaft on an M3? This was my first though. I'm due to change diff oil tomorrow but I'm sure noise is further forward that this. Or in the worst case could this be a nasty gearbox noise?

I've given the prop a good shake, there is no play. The gearbox has just had an oil change (noise began before change) There is a slight oil leak where prop joins diff, as i said, oil change tomorrow.

Any ideas??

Thanks Steve:)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pull the handbrake up a little bit whilst driving to see if the noise changes. Mine does this if ive had the handbrake on when im facing down a hill, but not if im facing up. Not sure why the noise transfers to under the handbrake area though! Basically if my handbrake shoes have been shifted forward, the noise will appear, if shifted back the noise will disappear. Ive got into the habbit now of reversing slightly with the handbrake on just before i set off! Need to adjust the shoes a tad, should sort it out.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pull the handbrake up a little bit whilst driving to see if the noise changes. Mine does this if ive had the handbrake on when im facing down a hill, but not if im facing up. Not sure why the noise transfers to under the handbrake area though! Basically if my handbrake shoes have been shifted forward, the noise will appear, if shifted back the noise will disappear. Ive got into the habbit now of reversing slightly with the handbrake on just before i set off! Need to adjust the shoes a tad, should sort it out.

Thanks for the advice mate, tho the noise I'm getting is definitely transmission or transmission related, hopefully not gearbox .:frown I understand the boxes on evo's often fails around 120k.:mad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.