BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

For those of you who didnt read the title and guess my intentions......

.....i want to spray my car.

For those of you who know the answer to the following question.....can you give me any hints.....

Q: What is the easiest colour to get a good finish with?

Amos ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hint: Get a pro to do it :thumbsup or practise a lot before you start on your own car :thumbsup Get a decent compressor and spray gun-you'll get a better result than rattlers :thumbsup

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
Hi guys.

For those of you who know the answer to the following question.....can you give me any hints.....

Amos ;)
Heres a good hint.../

Get it done by a proffesional...

Or leave it alone and dont devalue your car...

Surely you can get your Audi garage you work for to paint it cheaply :thumbsup

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Hi guys.

Amos ;)
Get a pro to do it and spray it tvr purple_lovely

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have a great compressor and gun, thats why i am asking. If i had to buy the equipment then i wouldnt bother trying doing it myself.

I can get Audi to respray it for around £800, but if i can do it myself.....why pay them to do it.

I have got a unit that can be heated also, so............

.....rather than just "get a pro to do it".......

.....does anyone have any positive hints on techniques?

Amos

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
I already have a great compressor and gun, thats why i am asking. If i had to buy the equipment then i wouldnt bother trying doing it myself.

I can get Audi to respray it for around £800, but if i can do it myself.....why pay them to do it.

I have got a unit that can be heated also, so............

.....rather than just "get a pro to do it".......

Amos
preparation is everything and top quality paint and keen eye for detail is key,prep is the most important though

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do i know/how can i tell what is good paint and what is not?

I am looking at taking several days off work to do this......preperation is gonna be paramount i think. No rushing it.

TVR purple......good choice.

Amos

·
1,008 Posts
Audi will prep it better and bake it on and look a million dollars, you'll just make your car worth a quarter of it's value as soon as you touch it.

CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE THINKING OF DOING THIS OR POSTING YOUR INTENSIONS OF DOING IT :irked

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

Amos
Really the only hint that I can give you is - get a pro to do it.....:thumbsup

I know that you don't want to hear it, but if it was really that easy then everyone would do it wouldn't they? If you have never done this sort of thing before, you really don't want to start on your own car (start in a small way on something less significant)

I have all the equipment to perform open heart surgery, but I am not going to try it on my wife.....:shifty:

Really Amos, when you f'it up, the £800 you have been quoted will seem very cheap... The materials alone will cost you a couple of hundred quid.

·
1,008 Posts
Amos get a pole set up on this thread :thumbsup

And if you are going to fook it up be painting it yourself, get yourself a 12" long haired roller :rofl:rofl:rofl

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
How do i know/how can i tell what is good paint and what is not?

I am looking at taking several days off work to do this......preperation is gonna be paramount i think. No rushing it.

TVR purple......good choice.

Amos
It would take a pro AT LEAST a week to prepare and spray your car well, you are going to do it yourself in several days?:confused

Start putting expensive paint finishes into the equation and this time rises exponentially.... And that sort of paint REALLY does cost some money.

Honestly Amos, unless it's a £200 shed, don't do it... Wanna have a go? Go to the local scrappy and get a door or a wing, take it home and try.... Whatever that costs to do it will be worth it, just so you can see what's involved and how hard it really is...:thumbsup

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesnt anybody try anything new any more?

Its not as though i want to spray an 08 plate M3 is it. Its my old hack.

Ok guys, cheers for your angle, i'll try somewhere elsefor help.

Amos

(good idea spiritentwined)

·
1,008 Posts

Ok guys, cheers for your angle.

Amos
Try something new like riding your fatty neighbour, not fooking your car up :rofl

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I would say if you are set on doing it yourself y not give it a go if ya ain't happy with it then get it done professionally or if you want do all the prep work yourself then get someone professional to do it then you have chipped in and yal save yaself a few quid

·
Registered
282 Posts
its not the sort of thing you can just have a go at mate. there is so much to it these days for a top finish using water base coats and uhs clearcoats and whats a lot more important is the health side of things the hardners in clear coats is very very bad for you. isocyanate poisioning is very serious and it is oderless and colourless thats how people get fooled and get realy ill. leave it to some one with the correct equipment and a booth !!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
im not just showing off about it (incase people are thinking that lol) just i did used to teach the subject !!!!

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Kevin Whittaker;647817[B said:
] Wanna have a go? Go to the local scrappy and get a door or a wing, take it home and try.... Whatever that costs to do it will be worth it, just so you can see what's involved and how hard it really is...[/B]:thumbsup

Ok guys, cheers for your angle, i'll try somewhere elsefor help.

Amos

(good idea spiritentwined)

Amos, you have my advice above - it also happens to fit with the other members opinions that have taken the time to post.... Go knock yourself out, you seen pretty determined - good luck with it.;)

Try somewhere else for help? Go for it mate - I hope that you are able to prove me wrong - really I do....:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 52 Posts