BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've noticed that my engine has started to become a little tappy, all the time (not at idle), not too bad mostly noticeable when driving though town with window down.

Last oil change was 111k about 4 months ago (now @114k), using Mobile 1 0w-40. along with plugs, oil & vanos filters.

Could this mean its time to get the valve clearances done?

I know this question has been asked manys time and there is some debate to the correct answer, but What oil is correct for this engine???? Maybe 0w-40 is a little thin?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5w40 is not good for m3
PLEASE EXPLIAN:eek

0w40 is also not good. belive me 10w60 is not going to be too thick. recomended oil for S50 engine is Castrol RS 10w60.
PLEASE EXPLAIN:eek Mate you need to back up your opinion or at least explain it. are you in a position/ qualified to make such bold statements?

That's news to me and goes against everything I have been told, care to elaborate?

Also surprised that you think 0w40 is acceptable but 5w40 is not? 10w40 should be fine as well!

Anything thicker/heavier, like the 10w60 is going to be too thick for the vanos.

Ian
:thumbsup Yep I agree.:thumbsup castrol 10w-60 for 'M' cars has been developed for later models eg, E46 M3 & E39 M5

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok i will explain. 0w40 or 5w40 is not good for m50 and m52 engine, because they dont have oil cooling. if you will drive this engines a little bit harder oil would become like a water, and hydraulic lifters would be heard. I am from Slovenia, and here we drift mostly with BMW and we know this engines. belive me 10w60 is the best.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i will explain. 0w40 or 5w40 is not good for m50 and m52 engine, because they dont have oil cooling. if you will drive this engines a little bit harder oil would become like a water, and hydraulic lifters would be heard. I am from Slovenia, and here we drift mostly with BMW and we know this engines. belive me 10w60 is the best.

OK OK. I'm not drifting. Just driving may car, as most do. I believe the M3 does have an oil cooler. It doesn't however have hydraulic lifters.

I don't imagine a grade 40 oil will become too thin. It's a pretty standard grade, all sorts of engines run. do they sound tappy?

I have never heard of M50 & M52 engines being run on 10w-60. Only M series.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This is the same convo we've had on another thread. 10w60 i suppose is alright if you're driftin.
Otherwise 10w-40 is perfectly fine. I'd get the valve clearances dun. although im confused by this- do M50 and M52 engines have hydraulic lifters, or not? cos ive dun valve clearances on 16valve engines n havin to do em on my 24valve engine (1995 328i- am i right in saying this is the m52 engine?) would be a nightmare.lol.

Also, wats vanos? If you dont mind me asking.

Baz.

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's a relief. Much appreciated mate :thumbsup

Anyway, let us kno wat happens. Like i said, i'd get my valve clearance dun first (dependin on wen they were last dun).
Had same thing wit ma prelude. it purrs now, n on full throttle, it sounds awsome... for a 4cylinder

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
my indy told me to put 5-40 into my S50 M3 3.0.

Mine is slightly tappy when under 3000rpm, but after that it really does sound stunning.

Will they do these shims with the inspection 2 service? mine has always had this, but I have noticed after a service its sounds a little less obvious

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What oil is correct for this engine????
If you thought there weren't enough engine oils to choose from out there, 'Mobile 1' have a new product on the market. Anyone got an opinion on the suitability for S50B32 engine??
New on the Shelves

This month we welcome the following new oils to the Opie Oil Clan:

Mobil 1 Supersyn 5w-50 Rally Formula

Our very first 5w-50 oil - we had to create a whole new category on our web site for it. Mobil 1 5W-50 is especially suited for high speed and "severe service" and also boasts the Porsche A40 approval (not many of those around). We have, however, just been advised of an imminent Mobil price rise (weakness of the £ we presume) so it's only our initial stock that's at the current web site price (£46.99 / £42.29 members for 5 litres)

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-50.asp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.