BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys I'm pretty stumped at the moment my e36 328i has started making a nasty noise around 3k rpm I first thought to believe it was the vanos but I had this replaced and it was still there then thought I'd try the chain tensioner but still no joy! The weird thing is the sound is coming from the inlet manifold area near the throttle body, when I unplug the vanos solenoid the noise goes away this has thrown me out somewhat!

Any help would be great guys and one in south east london area might know what it is I'm more than willing to travel to have it looked at!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you never said what kind of noise it is?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it's hard to describe sounds like a vanos noise like whirring grinding! It happens when moving and on idle when reved!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
so the noise is there when the vanos is plugged in but when unplugged it goes could it be the vanos solinoid and you say the vanos was replaced was it a recon unit or just the seals replaced?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the slow reply! My friend who is my mechanic lives and breathes BMWs and it was replaced with a working one from another car so it's strange that it's not the vanos!

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,133 Posts
guys
i can confirm this noise and like joe has said it comes from the top off the manifold in or around injector 4 or 5 :confused:confused got me stumped:confused:confused
remember looking with ralph for this noise, got us stumped... still ran fine and still does so cant imagine its anything too bad... i remember its like a metalic sort of noise????

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the slow reply! My friend who is my mechanic lives and breathes BMWs and it was replaced with a working one from another car so it's strange that it's not the vanos!

Yes it's a metallic sort of sound! I'm stumped it sounds pretty damaging so as we speak my vanos is unplugged!

·
Registered
320 Posts
ok, can you confirm that the vanos had a modification done when it was replaced? There is a mod with a spring plate and two metal plates? If this is not done then even replacing the vanos will cause the noise to return..
Just a thought

·
Registered
320 Posts
I just realised that yours is a 1996 so should already have the mod lol (sorry blonde moment + alcohol :). Do you know if the valve timing is ok? Does it sound like a hydraulic valve lifter or worse?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ok we can hopefully go from there. Its got to be on the inlet camshaft as thats the only thing thats adjusted by the vanos. Are there any fault codes in the DME? Like camspeed sensor faults or vanos mechanically jamming?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope no work done was just driving one day and heard it took it to my mechanic he unplugged the vanos suspecting that, replaced it with a known working unit but the noise was still there!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts