BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, me again!!

Got an odd problem with the car that I think may be sensor related,

Much of the time, the car drives great with loads of power and smooth acceleration.
However, sometimes the car will be sluggish, doesnt pull very well and is noticeably down on power.
I have noticed that this is triggered by something, for a split second the engine will cut out (If idling the engine will die) and after this, the sluggishness comes on.
If I pull over, turn the engine off for a bit, it seems to sort it out until the next time it briefly cuts.

Could this be a dodgy crank sensor? As it flagged on diagnostic before but I didnt seem to have any issues at the time.
Also, flagged lambda sensor at same time but passed MOT next day?

Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have got the same problem. I'm thinking it could be a coil misfiring? To be honest though it comes out of know where. The engine cuts out and makes the car jerk, or stalls as you say on idle then runs like c**p and seems to stink of oil.
Could also do with some help if anybody has an idea?
Cheers.

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, mine smells of burning oil too

I had put it down to a leaky rocker gasket, as I noticed a wisp of smoke from the manifold shortly after picking it up from having major engine surgery.

But I have never seen smoke since, and can often smell burning oil, especially if I stop with the blowers on

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I had a similiar problem and was advise to get the ECU software updated, which i did and already i can see a big improvement, i am still watching it as i only had it done on the weekend. its worth a try m8

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Hmm, mine smells of burning oil too

I had put it down to a leaky rocker gasket, as I noticed a wisp of smoke from the manifold shortly after picking it up from having major engine surgery.

But I have never seen smoke since, and can often smell burning oil, especially if I stop with the blowers on
Could be the spark plug hole seals leaking. These are seperate from the cam cover gasket. They fill the plug holes up with oil and can cause mis-fires.
Whip the coil packs out and check for oil on them first. :thumbsup

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking about that as the rocker gasket kit comes with the spark plug seals aswell, need to have good look over it and get it on the diagnostic I think

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fixed the problem, traced down to fault crankshaft sensor.
Fitted new one and feels like a new car!

Also found out that the same problem can be caused by a faulty camshaft sensor.

Also need to relace one of the o2 sensors as diagnostics showing one faulty

·
Registered
12 Posts
just to add to this post, my 328i has developed slowly but surely over the last few months a spluttery, shuddery characteristic, plus it has stalled four times the past few days randomly (once while moving).

had the codes read, it flagged up the crankshaft position sensor, same as TomB.

will be getting fixed on Friday, will update the thread with results. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
124 Posts
1996 328i tourer, 170,000miles on the clock.

hello 2 all,

the problems mentioned in this thread are EXACTLY what i'm going thru right now!!!

im just about to have a mini service done on the car as it does need it anyway, but will certainly change crankshaft and cam sensors while im there

just a few questions though: where are these sensors located and can they be changed by an just about averagely mechanical person with limited tools. Also, are they available from outlets other than main BMW dealers and what kind of prices are they

many thanks for your help. this thread has been extremely enlightening!!!

regards
bf

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cheap sensor found

Hello again,

ive just found a guy on ebay selling these crank shaft position sensors for £33.50 inc vat & p+p. his ebay screen name is: 'topsolu' & the item number is: 140314896495.

he had 7 available, ive bought 1 so there's still a few left.

once it turns up, ill get it installed or do it myself (depending on whether i get a reply to my last post in this thread or not) and ill post details of the results

cheers
bf

·
Registered
12 Posts
hello mate

from my experience today, the part (OE Quality) is £72. I'd be concerned about the part you have bought being a decent enough quality to replicate the BMW standard, but then i'm fussy. it may do the job just fine.

the labour is about 1 hour to fit (Crank sensor, not sure about the cam sensor, i would guess more though), as you will have to remove lots of bits to get to it, but from a bit of research using google, the Crank sensor is located beneath the thermostat housing, the Cam sensor is located adjacent to the thermostat housing (silver type object with a cable coming out of it which then runs underneath the inlet manifold).

from some reading, the cam sensor needs the inlet manifold removing to access the cable, which in itself takes a bit of time, but is fairly straight forward. you may get around this by having skiiny arms available..!

your mileage may throw up other issues while you are fiddling, like air leaks, failing gaskets etc, so for peace of mind check out all your breather hoses, inlet tract boots and hoses, gaskets, etc before reinstalling to save the work again.

let us know how you get on, a thread with an answer is like gold for others!

·
Registered
124 Posts
ok,

wikked. between now and when it turns up ill have a look at the current sensor and decide if i wanna try the job myself or pay some1 else 2 do it for me. the link provided a few replies up, is very helpful and makes the job sound straight forward but quite fiddly..........plus i dont really particularly skinny arms!

lots of thanks again to every1 that posted something on this thread...........its all been very very useful info

cheers
bf

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.