BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 328i Touring - dual climate heater matrix blown?

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  hamish262001 
#1 ·
Hi all,

hopefully someone can cast a bit of light. Owned the car for 6 months and sometimes caught a whiff of coolant when I wound the temperature up on the climate. I ignored it, as you do, until last week.

In Scotland after a few hills, coolant temperature rock steady at 12 o'clock. I pull in to look at the view and steam starts pouring through the face level dash vents. Temp gauge then shoots up and I switch off immediately. Pop the bonnet and coolant is pouring from the rear of the engine bay from what looks like the heater box/bulkhead area:eek.

I draw the conclusion that matrix has burst, so by-pass it and it cures it (although there is very minor coolant loss occuring over a few days - another story).

It dawns on me that there is not a drop of coolant in the footwells, which I would expect with a blown matrix. Bearing in mind it's probably a right sod to remove, is there a known problem with pipes or O-rings failing which will be easier and cheaper to replace? Or is it a design feature for a burst matrix to drain in to the engine bay?:frown

Cheers,
Milesey.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi mate. You have a joiner section from the engine bay to the heater matrix. Its possible that the joiner pipe has cracked with age or that the Rubber O rings have let go causing the coolant loss. When these go it causes the coolant to leak into the bulkhead and will drain into the engine bay...:thumbsup

No 11 on here is the joiner section,http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CF12&mospid=47463&btnr=64_0555&hg=64&fg=15

No 22 and no 13 are what hold it together, no 9 and 10 are the sealing O rings. :thumbsup
This is where I would look first as no coolant is in the footwells...:thumbsup

You will need to remove the air intake grille just in front of the wipers, which unclips and lifts out then the panel on the bulkhead that the wiring loom screws to can be removed with 3 7mm bolts. You can then see the matrix joiner pipes and the blower motor...:thumbsup

#3 ·
Thanks very much for the info Steve. I'll strip the parts out and have a close look tonight.:thumbsup

Experience has taught me to have a plan "B" - If the O-rings are ok at the bulkhead end, how difficult is it to get to the ones that go in to the matrix? How much of the dash would I need to strip out - and (worst case scenario) what is required to swap the matrix?:eek

Cheers mate.

#4 ·
If it was the O rings into the matrix, you will prob have coolant in the car. You can remove the glovebox assembly, you can see where the pipes go into the matrix. :thumbsup
Ive not done a complete matrix before, but the dash is not too difficult to remove...:thumbsup
I will PM a guy who has replaced the matrix in his E36 before....:thumbsup

#5 ·
To check the connections is look under the bonnet under the pollen filter housing.There is a connector there that goes through into the matrix.You can also check by removing the glovebox and you will see the pipes going into the matrix there.If its leaking you will have damp in the passenger footwell-Other sypmtoms of heater core leaking is steaming up the base of the windscreen.
To replace the heater matrix you have to take the complete dash out steering wheel and even the brace that holds the steering column and you have to get to the bolts that hold it in under the pollen filter housing.If this is required then let me know and I will put up more detailed instructions-as it was my first time doing it it took me a good few hours but now having done it I could do it a lot quicker and also be a helpful guide....:thumbsup

If you take it a garage they will charge you at least one days labour plus the cost of replacement parts...I picked up my matrix for £30 and did the job myself-Total cost £30 plus grazed knuckles....:lol

#6 ·
Thanks again:thumbsup

If I'm going to the trouble of pulling the thing to bits I may as well fit new O-rings anyway so ordered some from local dealer :jaw-dropping- silly price but convenient to my work.

Cheers for asking your contact about matrix removal. If it comes to it, the less time I can spend upside down in the footwell, the better:hihi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.