BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone else's car seems to take an age to heat up, My car takes a good 15-20 mins of continuous driving b4 it is up to optimum temp and it starts to cools back down again quite quick if im sat at traffic lights or something.

My old E46 328 used to do the same but not quite as bad as this, is it just a BMW thing??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Sounds like the thermostat could be stuck open, do you know if it's ever been done?

Reactions: Daler69

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah i dunno mate i havnt had the car long. Might be worth changing

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Im planning another car weekend this weekend so replacing the thermostat will be on the list :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
whilst your doing the thermostat and you have the plastic thermo houseing i would get hold of a ali replacement there alot better and yours may crack on removal if its plastic

Reactions: Daler69

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Have just had my thermostat and egr thermostat replaced for this exact reason...:thumbsup

MPG has improved and gets to running temp much much quicker now :D Happy Days!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news :) More MPG is always good.. mine is horrible at the min lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
You will probably find yours is missing mine heats up to half a guage within 3 miles i just changed mine due to it sticking shut! i got one from the dealers at under £25 thought it was a good investment be careful with the housing though as previously mentioned it cracks all too easily.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv had a look on e-bay, found a new housing (not metal.. only metal ones on ebay are from america) For about £25 plus £8 for the thermostat from a place near me, not too bad :)

Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt realise there was a specific BMW coolant?? Is it defo worth getting or is any coolant ok??

Very good DIY apart from the last few steps?

Step 8: Start the car and let it heat to the normal operating temperature.
Step 9: Check for any obvious coolant leaks.
Step 10: Using a hose, quickly spray the inside of the engine and underneath the car to rinse away any coolant remnants.

Just sounds like a 'Crack your head DIY' right there lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts