BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1996 328 convertible which i've had for 2 weeks now, its done 120k so didnt expect it to be trouble free, the problem is as follows....... when driving theres a binding and squeeking noise coming from the rear near side wheel. When i pull away very slowly it sounds like rubber on metal, as i speed up its a very clear mettallic noise, it sounds like a 'tinny' noise that repeats itself every revolution until its constant at about about 30 mph. When acelerating its more of a very light, constant squeeking and hardly noticable, but then when i let off the power the metallic binding noise is back. Now with it coming from the rear left wheel, when i turn right and put more weight on that side it gets louder, when I turn left and take the weight off the noise disappears, until the car straightens out again and its back. I jacked the car up yesterday, thinking i might beable to find out what was rubbing, theres no play coming form the wheel or any apparent rubbing marks anywhere, to be honest it sounds like the round metal plate behind the brakes and thought there could be some rubbish stuck behind this, so knocked it with a hammer a few times (as you do) to free up any crap and WD40'd any moving parts i could see (except the disc obviously ) this sorted it perfectly for about 20 miles then it came back, which makes me think its something more serious. I'll take the wheel off today and have a closer look. Maybe a CV joint? Bearing?

Just to add the car is lowered on jamex coil-overs and sitting on 18s with 40 profile tyres, but really dont think its as simple as the tyre rubbing, as its just came on yesterday and doesnt get any louder when going over bumps or pot holes etc, plus i've previously done a good 500 miles without a problem .

any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, Gary.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you checked for any play in the wheel? Grab it top and bottom and side to side. I would also be checking the back plate fully and also try pulling on the handbrake slightly when moving off and see if the noise changes or goes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, turns out its the back plate behind the disc, Cheers Ronnie, it must be catching on the disc and gets worse as the brakes heat up, only problemI have now is that ive rounded the key of the locking wheel nut trying to get it off?!?!?! nightmare, rang Stop lock and am waiting a replacement, so for now ive just had to knock it with a hammer a few times to 'persuade' it to stop catching, its done the job for now until i can get the wheel off, Thanks again for the help:lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried everything, as it stands at the moment, I have removed all the shoes, springs...everything from the drum part of the disc, so the hand brake is not on the car anymore to try and eliminate it and the noise is still there when driving so it cant possibly be the hand brake. When the disk is turned when jacked up there is no noise, but when car is dropped back down off the jack and the load aplied to the wheel and driven then its noisy again, sounds like metal on metals grinding, and at slow speeds metal on rubber. Could this be the Diff?? but then again it only seems to be on one side?!?!?! Drive shaft? CV Joint??

Someone help me plllllllllease haha.....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Did you check for any scrape marks where the inner most part of the disc could rub on the back plate?

Also I presume the shoes and everything are back on now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i checked the plate and all the drive shafts for any signs of wear, but nothing. The hand brake shoes are still off as the car is on the drive and going into a garage tomorrow be looked at, i'll leave it for them to do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts