BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok sorry to post this again but the problem is back,

Hi I have a 1996 328 convertible which i've had for 2 weeks now, its done 120k so didnt expect it to be trouble free, the problem is as follows....... when driving theres a binding, knocking noise coming from the rear wheels. When i pull away very slowly it sounds like rubber on metal, as i speed up its a very clear mettallic noise, it sounds like a 'tinny' noise that repeats itself every revolution until its constant at about about 30 mph. When acelerating its more of a very light, constant squeeking and hardly noticable, but then when i let off the power the metallic binding noise is back. Now when i turn right and put more weight on that side it gets louder, when I turn left and take the weight off the noise disappears, until the car straightens out again and its back. I jacked the car up yesterday, thinking i might beable to find out what was rubbing, theres no play coming form the wheel or any apparent rubbing marks anywhere, to be honest it sounded like the round metal plate behind the brakes and thought there could be some rubbish stuck behind this, so knocked it with a hammer a few times (as you do) to free up any crap and WD40'd any moving parts i could see Maybe a CV joint? Bearing?

Just to add the car is lowered on jamex coil-overs and sitting on 18s with 40 profile tyres, but really dont think its as simple as the tyre rubbing, as its just came on yesterday and doesnt get any louder when going over bumps or pot holes etc, plus i've previously done a good 500 miles without a problem .

Another thing to add is that when the car is started from cold it runs fine for about10 minutes and the the knocking noise starts, could this be my diff???

one more thing aswel, i was under the car to inspect the drive shafts, there is a tiny bit of play in both shafts, when i grip them and twist them. More when I grip them and move them left to right (gripping them with my hand and moving them sideways, towards the hub then towards the diff) is this normal?

any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, Gary.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Still saying back plates, remove the wheel and caliper and disc and check for shiny marks where it's been rubbing, they can rub on the inner most part of the back plate

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried everything, as it stands at the moment,no wear on the back plates at all, I have removed all the hand brake shoes, springs...everything from the drum part of the disc, so the hand brake is not on the car anymore to try and eliminate it and the noise is still there when driving so it cant possibly be the hand brake. When the disk is turned when jacked up there is no noise, but when car is dropped back down off the jack and the load aplied to the wheel and driven then its noisy again, sounds like metal on metals grinding, and at slow speeds metal on rubber. Could this be the Diff?? but then again it only seems to be on one side?!?!?! Drive shaft? CV Joint??

Someone help me plllllllllease haha....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts