BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any way of finding out what software my car has from the ECU manufacturing code or VIN code?

I recently purchased a Autel Maxiscan MS509 with the BMW interface lead only for it to flash that it cant link with the ECU.

Car is an August 1996 E36 328i coupe

BMW Diagnosis Socket Pinout for ODB2

14 Battery power
15 ISO 9141-2 L Line
17 ISO 9141-2 K Line
19 GND
20 ISO 9141-2 K Line

BMWs from 1996 in US are all OBDii compliant. It is the law.
Some european BMWs are obdii compliant from about the same time, it was not made law here until 2001, but some cars obviously will have the same ECU.

I have been told ,the quick way to see if your car is OBDii compliant is to see in the 20 pin DLC if pin 17 is present (the second K line) this is only used for OBD, which the car has!
thanks
al

·
Registered
28 Posts
tuning a 96 might be a chip out/wipe/reburn job. E30's are like that and i know early E36 was the same but im not sure of when/if it ever changed before the E46. might even be able to do the old fashioned pull and re-burn on a later model E36, havent opened up an ECU from one to see tho i do have standard chip reads from alot of E36 models including M3's tho (no 328i im afraid) most of the files are probably from US models..

if i had to guess at a 96 328i id say chip out/re-burn will be whats needed. also i doubt its as sinple as finding a software number from ECU number as the same ECU numbers usually have different chips/software with some versions of the software being more common than others. i know in the E30's you can use any software version from say a 173 ECU in any other 173 ECU, dont know if it works like that on the mid to late E36 tho as its a newer version of motronic in E36 and i think maybe even a changeover to siemens for some models? or maybe that didnt happen till the E46? not sure..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was flashed

tuning a 96 might be a chip out/wipe/reburn job. E30's are like that and i know early E36 was the same but im not sure of when/if it ever changed before the E46. might even be able to do the old fashioned pull and re-burn on a later model E36, havent opened up an ECU from one to see tho i do have standard chip reads from alot of E36 models including M3's tho (no 328i im afraid) most of the files are probably from US models..

if i had to guess at a 96 328i id say chip out/re-burn will be whats needed. also i doubt its as sinple as finding a software number from ECU number as the same ECU numbers usually have different chips/software with some versions of the software being more common than others. i know in the E30's you can use any software version from say a 173 ECU in any other 173 ECU, dont know if it works like that on the mid to late E36 tho as its a newer version of motronic in E36 and i think maybe even a changeover to siemens for some models? or maybe that didnt happen till the E46? not sure..

I have a 1995 E36 with 2.8 l engine - M52B28 and Siemens MS4.1 DME,
That has been flashed through 20 pin round diagnostic plug as there are no chips to replace in the unit.
All went well :thumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts