BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,my coupe has just started playing up a little,sometimes when putting the car into reverse it selects the gear but jerks the car harshly ! it doesnt do it all the time,has anybody got the same problems or any info on how to rectify this ? cheers Pidster :confused

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Whats the condition and level of your auto gearbox oil?

Not sure of the setup on the BMW auto's, but some similar symptoms from the Volvo guys were cured by swithing the ignition on, then selecting each gear, from 'P' - '1' (or what ever is at the bottom), one at a time, repeat the process about 20 times. This is supposed to clean up some switch in the Volvo's auto boxes.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
i dont think its got a dipstick to check,i will try that thanks stu
IIRC all auto's have a dipstick, protruding from the gearbox in the engine bay. It may not be very long so do take a good look.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will check again today thanks,also i meant to say that sometimes it feels slow at picking up speed even in sport mode it just seems to rev more is that related ?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
i will check again today thanks,also i meant to say that sometimes it feels slow at picking up speed even in sport mode it just seems to rev more is that related ?
Quite possible if the oil is degraded. But i personallyw ould have thought you would probably have slight symptoms as slower or slightly less slick changes when driving in normal 'd' mode.

With Volvo's usually a code read, 'PNP' switch (switch I mentioned earlier) and possibly a fresh software download usually puts things right if any symptoms persist following a fresh g/box oil & filter (where applicable) change.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
how much on average does it cost to change oil filters magnets !? i aint got a clue on autos lol basically im after a price to service the box before i go throwing anymore money at it

i feel a 5 speed conversion comin on lol :silly

·
Registered
564 Posts
To renew your oil mate it is £176 + vat for the oil alone from bmw as it is a special esso oil that the idiots put in it! Go manual it is so much better! pm sent

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive just gone under my car n found that most of my gearbox casing has oil all over it,tbh im glad coz i can go 5 speed now :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts