BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and wonder if somebody can give me a little technical help.

I have a power steering problem with my e36 1996 328i coupe. The problem being overnight the steering has gone very heavy in the car and when driving it needs to be turned back to centre when coming out of a corner rather than centering its self.

I have done the normal checks, belt tension, fluid level, checking for leaks and everthing seems normal. The car has not been banged or jolted which may cause a suspension problem, so I figure the problem is either the pump or the steering rack?

Has anybody out there had a similar issue who can offer me some advice? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are probably right. I just wanted that bit of confirmation. I will try to source one and keep the forum posted as to how I go on. Thanks for your help.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I think you are probably right. I just wanted that bit of confirmation. I will try to source one and keep the forum posted as to how I go on. Thanks for your help.
Can you PM me the last 7 digits of your chassis number and i'll check the difference between yours and the spare one I have on my replacement Touring engine:thumbsup

·
Registered
292 Posts
my 1st e36 had poor centering it turned out to be a worn rack,everytime i put my foot on the brake the steering wheel jerked and the car swerved,new rack and track rod ends problem solved

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi A20 RYM,

I have just ordered a replacement from a breakers which I should get on Tuesday. Thanks very much for the offer though. Hopefully it will solve the problem because I want to trade her in for a 335 coupe next week

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pidster,

Thanks for info. As the problem started overnight I am going to try a replacement pump first, but will bare in mind what you have said and take a look at that aswell.

Cheers. Gra.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site and wonder if somebody can give me a little technical help.

I have a power steering problem with my e36 1996 328i coupe. The problem being overnight the steering has gone very heavy in the car and when driving it needs to be turned back to centre when coming out of a corner rather than centering its self.

I have done the normal checks, belt tension, fluid level, checking for leaks and everthing seems normal. The car has not been banged or jolted which may cause a suspension problem, so I figure the problem is either the pump or the steering rack?

Has anybody out there had a similar issue who can offer me some advice? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Just to be sure the car hasn't been recently lowered has it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.