BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to find an answer to this problem already but couldn't. I apologise if this has already been answered.

Anyway - the problem is as follows:

When I start from cold, everything is fine.

At some point in the journey, anything from 10 minutes to an hour later, the engine might cut out - either at the traffic lights or when driving along at anything up to 70mph. If it's at the traffic lights and the engine stops, it can be restarted immediately. If it's when I'm driving, then it restarts itself (automatic bumpstart). It's a pain if this happens when I'm accelerating, as it can be quite a 'jerk'.

Also, when accelerating gently at low revs, it can start to 'judder' below about 1,500 rpm (especially in 3rd) and will generally feel low on power.

The weird thing is that the car is absolutely fine until it decides that it doesn't want to play ball any more, and then after that it's a pig to drive...

Oh, the other thing to mention is that the idle is normally absolutely fine and steady (even with the acceleration problem)...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BM T.

I checked and there was a small split around the hose which goes down to the idle valve. Not sure if it was letting air in or not, but I swapped it anyway. Unfortunately it didn't cure the problem so I took it to my friendly garage who said it was the crank position sensor. They swapped it and it now drives like it should again.

Thank god I've got 6 cylinder power again!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.