BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay never replaced a clutch before so I want to make sure I get this right.

I've been browsing the Pelican guide http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Clutch_Replace/E36-Clutch_Replace.htm on this and I would just like to know at what stage the clutch alignment tool is used and where does it get inserted:confused

Can anyone tell me if there are any other details/parts needed (that are not included in a clutch kit) that I should be aware of before attempting this daunting task?

I've not checked to see what is included in the clutch kit as yet:frown

The clutch alignment tool I purchased is this one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/large/04/040211426.jpg Can anyone advise which attachment I will need to use please.

Thanks in advance:thumbsup

·
Registered
438 Posts
unable to advise but just enquiring why your replacing the clutch, mines in the garage friday for the clutch as when it warms up after 45 mins i get judder when pulling away, its ok when pulling away at 3k+.
also what clutch kit are you using?
heard that replacing the clutch slave cylinder at the same time is good practice for piece of mind

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
The clutch alignment tool gets used before you bolt up the pressure plate to the flywheel. Its used to centre the friction plate to the flywheel and pressure plate. The tool you have is slightly different to mine, but the principle is the same.
The fitting that screws onto the end of the bar should push into the centre of the flyweel and sit snug, you will have a selection of different sizes. The other attachment will slide over the bar and sit inside the centre of the friction plate. You then slide the bar with the attachment into the fly wheel hole and the friction plate should sit in the centre of the flywheel. You then bolt up the pressure plate holding the friction plate in the centre.
You MUST use your eyes here as well, because when you do the bolts up on the pressure plate, the friction plate does have a habit of going off centre if you dont do them up equally.
Confused:confused
I struggled to explain this one :hihi

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Oh yeah. When the clutch is centred and the bolts are torqued up. You should be able to pull out the alignment tool from the centre. ;)
you have changed the engine on your Is, so this should be a piece of piddle :silly

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Oh yeah. When the clutch is centred and the bolts are torqued up. You should be able to pull out the alignment tool from the centre. ;)
you have changed the engine on your Is, so this should be a piece of piddle :silly

Hi Rym,

As Steve said, the clutch alignment tool is used prior to clamping/bolting to the flywheel.

There are different types of aligning tools, The easiest and simplist is the one that allows you to line both the friction and pressure plate while off the car then clamps them together securely- so all you do then is put the whole assembly onto the flywheel, bolt it all up (torque up), once secure you can then remove the clutch tool.

You can get hold of one of these tools from the likes of GSF, they go for around £10 onwards- depending on what brand, GSF do Lazer..............but they all do the same job.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just checked my Sachs clutch kit and there is no tool included so just as well I'd already bought the posted in the link in my first post:hihi

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've noticed that the clutch kit does not contain the new flywheel bolts, does this mean the old ones can be used or am I now going to have to trek over to the dealer to get some:confused:frown

·
Registered
438 Posts
garage phoned up today and said the clutch was fitted but the new slave cylinder was leaking, new part arriving monday.
go for the premium quality slave cylinder

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've noticed that the clutch kit does not contain the new flywheel bolts, does this mean the old ones can be used or am I now going to have to trek over to the dealer to get some:confused:frown

Hi mate,

If your kit did not come with them then don't worry about it mate. Just reuse the old ones and torque them up.

We are talking about the clutch to flywheel securing bolts aren't we?

If so, then yes, reuse mate.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi mate,

If your kit did not come with them then don't worry about it mate. Just reuse the old ones and torque them up.

We are talking about the clutch to flywheel securing bolts aren't we?

If so, then yes, reuse mate.

We are mate:thumbsup

I'll post up the pictures that I took today:hihi

Stoopid Pelican parts advise to replace the Flywheel seal to so I'll have to order one of those up before completing:frown I'm now thinking that this is really only necessary if it is leaking and does not have to be done every time the clutch is replaced:mad

Oh well, shit happens:hihi

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi

Stoopid Pelican parts advise to replace the Flywheel seal to so I'll have to order one of those up before completing:frown
Why do you listen to those guys? You get perfectly adequate info on here...heck, we will even show you how to fit a frisbee instead of a clutch plate for the extra horses :thumbsup. I mean, just talk to Mark Vorny about his Fiat with this modified clutch...:rofl

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why do you listen to those guys? You get perfectly adequate info on here...heck, we will even show you how to fit a frisbee instead of a clutch plate for the extra horses :thumbsup. I mean, just talk to Mark Vorny about his Fiat with this modified clutch...:rofl
Perhaps I should just stick to taking things apart... I'm good at that:hihi

I've found out tonight that my clutch alignment tool that does 90% of clutches does F*** all for mine:mad Useless piece of sheet:mad:mad:mad

Can anyone post up a link for one that definitely does the E36 325tds please:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Perhaps I should just stick to taking things apart... I'm good at that:hihi

I've found out tonight that my clutch alignment tool that does 90% of clutches does F*** all for mine:mad Useless piece of sheet:mad:mad:mad

Can anyone post up a link for one that definitely does the E36 325tds please:thumbsup
Try the tool i posted the link up for earlier in the thread Rym.
They are a bit of a PITA but the draper ones do come with instructions in the tool. (i have to read them everytime i use the bloody thing:hihi)
:thumbsup

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Thats the one :thumbsup
You screw the friction plate to the pressure plate together with this tool. It allows you to centre them up on the bench and attach them as one unit.
Like i said, they are a pain but these are the only tool that will do some clutches.
The main prob is when the hole in the friction plate is smaller than the flywheel hole so you cant get the old skool tool out. :mad
Good luck mate :cool

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm just being a numpty:lol

I've just looked at another type and now know how the tool I have is supposed to work:applause

What a freaking Idiot:hihi

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.