BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorting out getting the rear brake discs and pads changed on my car. Obviously I need a set of discs and pads but I have been told that I also need a brake pad sensor as well. Parts at BMW said I only need one in total for both the rear discs. Is this correct or do I need two of the sensors?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to bring up an old post but I definitely need to get the brakes done now as they look pretty worn and the MOT is due next month. I'm going to order all the stuff from Euro Car Parts but was just wondering what is the difference between handbrake shoes and brake shoes. If I want everything sorted do I need both or just the handbrake shoes as suggested above.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Here's a picture with the disc and pads removed, you can see the handbrake shoes sit inside the centre of the disc when it's on:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brake Pads are for the foot brake and are the ones you can see through the wheel.
The handbrake shoes are inboard of the disk so when you take the disk off you will see them. Worth changing them if you are changing the disks.
So can you confirm what the brake shoes are then as you refer to pads above.

Tim

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've got to say (and I fear I may come accross as cheap here), but the handbrake shoes really don't get that much use so unless they're worn I wouldn't bother replacing them. It's true that it would save a job and be easier to do them while doing the discs and pads but I wouldn't just for the sake of it. If you need to at a later date it's really not a hard job to whip the discs back off.

Reactions: tim010

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got to say (and I fear I may come accross as cheap here), but the handbrake shoes really don't get that much use so unless they're worn I wouldn't bother replacing them. It's true that it would save a job and be easier to do them while doing the discs and pads but I wouldn't just for the sake of it. If you need to at a later date it's really not a hard job to whip the discs back off.
No problem mate. Don't think I will bother then! Gonna be about £150 for everything from Eurocarparts anyway!

Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.