BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a E36 '96 convertible, and is missing both dog-ears. As I am a DIY guy I would like to fabricate new dog ears from aluminium, so they can never break again (as this is a common problem AFAIK).

Because I don't have a set of old dog-ears I need some help. Does anyone have a good picture of these parts and can measure them, so I can make a replica?

Of course I will post some pictures of the fabrication and the final thing..

thanks and best regards
Anze

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey! Why do you think that metal (aluminium) ones would cause more problems?

Thanks for the link, will definitely order if I won't be able to do it myself :) Maybe I'll try making them from plastic, if metals wouldn't work...

regards
Anze

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey! Why do you think that metal (aluminium) ones would cause more problems?

Thanks for the link, will definitely order if I won't be able to do it myself :) Maybe I'll try making them from plastic, if metals wouldn't work...

regards
Anze
On the plastic ones, the string snaps off the dog ears if the roof is out of sync. If you make metal ones, the string will probably not snap off thus resulting in maybe a more expensive repair on the roof.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you make metal ones, the string will probably not snap off
Yes, that seems logical. That's why I would only make the "base" metal and plastic "runners". Well, probably I'll make the whole thing out of plastic now..

Get the ones of ebay or use sikaflex..
Well, first i'll try to do them myself :) then ebay. I cannot use sikaflex as I don't have nothing to use it on :) I bought the car without the dog-ears.. :D

regards
Anze

1 - 11 of 11 Posts