BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently bought this car and the steering on the car is all over the place, have taken it to a couple of garages and have had the rear trailing arm bushes replaced ,which has made some difference, have also had the car tracked which was 6degs out, but still have the problem, it feels like the vibration is coming from under the front of the car, and builds up then goes every 15sec, please can anyone help.

Cheers

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys thanks for your replie, no brakes are fine, vibration though body not wheels, steering wheel vibrates very little and the vib seams to build up and then return, have checked all front bushes and rear bushes all ok, so they tell me, have not had a BMW before and do not think the car should drive like this, any comments would be great, thanks for your help.

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
Has the car been lowered?

If its been lowered quite a bit then check that the dump stops have been cut down shorter, quite a few people forget to do this when lowering cars past a certain amount.

If cars are lowered to much the weight of the car can be compressed down on to the dump stop and the spring rather than just the spring.

This would make the car feel very different on both ends, but more so on the front and give you uneven steering and make the car feel unsafe to drive.

Hope this helps and if it isnt lowered get back to us and will have another think

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Hi Guys thanks for your replie, no brakes are fine, vibration though body not wheels, steering wheel vibrates very little and the vib seams to build up and then return, have checked all front bushes and rear bushes all ok, so they tell me, have not had a BMW before and do not think the car should drive like this, any comments would be great, thanks for your help.

Cheers
Does the vibration get worse with speed? :confused

·
Registered
487 Posts
if it is prob shaft, when i found mine had gone bloke at garage said i was lucky the prob didnt break it was that perished, they are quite easy to check if you can get under the car its directly down the middle of the car about level with the back of the front doors, it has 6 or 8 bolts thought it cant remember how many it was, if you can get to it check the rubber not the metal bit around it. hope this helps

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You say you've got BMW 3 spokes on the car, can you post a picture up of a wheel as they don't sound standard? :confused

My train of thinking is do the wheels fit on the hubs securely or are there spigot rings missing?

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Steve23002 (Prop) and Ronnie (Spigot Rings) would me the two routes that I follow.

Usually if the vibration is felt coming through the vehicle, I.E. dash vibrating, felt coming up through the seats etc then the problem stems from the rear. If the vibration s felt in or coming up through the steering column into the steering wheel then it front related.

Post a picture up of the wheels and get the prop coupling checked out:thumbsup

Number 1 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CF92&mospid=47462&btnr=26_0105&hg=26&fg=10 They are common for breaking up:thumbsup

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Guys
As promised photo of car, am completely sumped by these problems, but have taken on all your very helpfull comments and will be under car for most off friday to investigate whats going on, as my local garage can not find anything wrong with the car, once again thanks and will get back to you shortly,

Cheers

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.