BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im not new to bmws but im new to this forum. So hello first :hihi Im wanting to fit the 2.8 M52 into my compact. There are some info on here but im still not absolutely sure what i need exactly.. Mines a N registered 318i compact with EWS 3T immobiliser system. Does anyone know if :

- I need The wiring loom for the m52 or can i use the existing loom off my 1.9 for the 2.8?
- I need an engine with matching EWS system 'cos mines a EWS 3T?
- I Will the coupe prop bit for this conversion?
- I can bolt the 328i sport LSD straight into the rear subframe?
- The ECU us plug and play?

Things i think i need for the conversion are Engine & Box, ECU, EWS, Prop, diff, drive shafts, Clocks. Have i missed anything?

As much info as i can get is much appreciated!

and anyone local to me?

Here a couple pics of mine...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I been offered a alusil m52 with box, prop, ecu, and m52 loom. it dosent come with EWS. Do i really need ews? Mines a N registered 318ti with EWS 3T, the engine is off a P registered 328i sport not sure on what ews that would have had if any.

as much input as poss would be mucho appreciated.

PS can the ews be eliminated?

·
Registered
298 Posts
the ews matches the ecu u can have it alined by bmw or a decent tuner u can use the 1.9 dif with the 2.8 box u split the prop and use front half 2.8 rear half 1.9 the coupe diffs dont fit in the ti rear sub frame its basicaly a e30 sub frame so for a lsd u need a e30 one and also the half shafts! the abs sensors have to be spaced up to do this (couple of washers) but it goes also uprate the brakes 2.8 calipers and disks fit straight on and some decent coil overs to take the extra weight u can get 6 cyl ti ones the engine loom plugs into the car loom under the bonnet x20 big round connector also the front anti roll bar needs to be swapped or it will hit on the sump ive put a 2.8 in my ti so if u have any other questions just ask

forgot to say i have a 2.8 seimens ecu ews and key if u need it and u will need a 6 cyl exhaust i belive u can bolt the ti back box up 2 it we made a custom back box up for mine from the 6 cyl

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
the ews is coded to the ecu and the keys so you will need all 3 to make the car run
it makes life a bit easier
im not 100% sure but i think the engine wiring looms are different but the 2.8 loom will plug into the big connector near the fusebox
you can use the 1.9 diff but id check the ratio however as the rear subframe is from an E30 3 series you can get an E30 325 rear diff with lsd which will bolt straight in and it will have a ratio that is more suited to the engine

·
Vendor
4,307 Posts
you can get any s/h ews box from a e36 and get someone with the know how to make the transponder chip ,then set to your ecu and second hand ews box to start the car

ews eliminated on a ms41.1
yes it can be done to the ecu so as to remove it ,but there are not many who can do this

Reactions: SimonMan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right guys i think i understand what to do for the conversion.

I'll buy an alusil m52 engine and box
Make a prop using the 2.8 and 1.9s (Front 2.8, rear 1.9)
use e30 325i LSD, with driveshafts (can i use the original compact driveshafts?)
m52 engine loom
clocks
ews with matching key and ecu (This means the original ews in the car will be ditched)
2.8 brakes
custom exhaust.
2.8 anti-roll bar

Will any 2.8 ecu work with the m52? regardless whether its nicasil or alusil (early & late engine?)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Right guys i think i understand what to do for the conversion.

I'll buy an alusil m52 engine and box
Make a prop using the 2.8 and 1.9s (Front 2.8, rear 1.9)
use e30 325i LSD, with driveshafts (can i use the original compact driveshafts?)
m52 engine loom
clocks
ews with matching key and ecu (This means the original ews in the car will be ditched)
2.8 brakes
custom exhaust.
2.8 anti-roll bar

Will any 2.8 ecu work with the m52? regardless whether its nicasil or alusil (early & late engine?)
yep ur about right there u can use any 2.8 ecu the ti shafts will bolt up but they sit wrong in the e30 diff they dont allow for movement up and down so end up breaking stuff a set of 2.8 engine mounts aswell the 1.9 are slightly smaller they will go but i would just get a new set and then ur good to go:cool have fun defo a worth while conversion:thumbsup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right guys, thank you very much for your help and feedback. I will keep you posted with what i do and pics to come :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts