BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is significant play in the front suspension arms (wishbones). From the papers which came with the car I see that a new wishbone has been fitted each time the bushes needed replacing in previuos years. Will it be possible to just renew the bushes or do the wishbones wear out as well? Thanks for your advice. (NB I am also researching some health issues & apologise in advance if I don't post again for a few days)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you are better changine the complete arm as the ball joints become dead after 18 months on british roads and cause the front end to wonder

Reactions: TLY175

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for replying. Have ordered new control arm which I hope will come with new ball joints fitted. Also bought powerflex items for the wishbone brackets. Further question: I have read that much about this job, I am now not sure if I will need a pickle fork! If I am fitting new control arms with ball joints installed already (off ebay) will I need to get a pickle fork/ball joint splitter, as I would not try to manage without. Thanks again

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey, I'm doing this same job over the weekend, if you haven't all ready. Make sure you buy a pair of Control Arm Bushings - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_AvailTo=3&_nkw=e36+Control+arm+bushings&_arm=1&_armm=63&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_ruu=http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=e36+Control+arm+bushings&_arr=1&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&_rdc=1

They're only like £5. Or you can get polyurethane one's and never replace them again. Most times when you buy a pair of new control arms they just come with the 2 ball joints, not the rubber bushing inside of that. So, just thought I'd give you a heads up in advance. If they are gone, cab's probably on the way out too.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yes you will as it took me the whole of 2 mins to whack the pickle fork and remove both ball joints and they were on very very tight so if anyone is daft enough to try without good luck and for the sake of £3 for a pickle fork its well worth it :D

Reactions: TLY175

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi all, changed both front wishbones on my e36 318 earlier today and the only problem I had was with the ball joint on the hub. After whacking it with a mallet, trying to pry it off with a crow bar and even with blow torch assistance it wouldnt budge so had to invest in a ball joint seperator, best money I've spent in a long time! Apart from the ball joints needing some persuasion, they should just whip straight off.
If its worth if should I upload a few pics of them coming off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bore da! 02pattersonp, Na then! swaynie. Thank you both for your time & advice. Appreciated. When you have a moment or 2 I would be very interested to look at the pics you have taken. Dare I ask if the pickle fork &/or the ball joint splitter was bought online? and where from please? (Many thanks also for advice re copper grease- I have been using it on me (pickled!) wheel nuts for longer than I should remember but don't! Now going to try to puzzle out why wishbone brackets are mostly £17 each on ebay whereas one ad offers a pair for £20 incl postage.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You can buy a complete arm kit plus arb drop links for £105 off eBay I'll post the link up later

·
Registered
442 Posts
These are a doddly mate. 22mm inner bolt, 19mm outer (IIRC) and 2 17mm nuts holding bush on and your 13mm droplink bracket too! Make sure you put the new bush on the new arm before assembling :) As it can be a bugger in place without a ramp.

If you are doing both I would go for the E30 lemforder arms as they seem to be harder wearing than the E36 standard arm, and in times like these with the roads as bad as they are, they wont get destroyed quite as fast!

I hate potholes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts