BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang
on saturday i was removing the rear hubs from the 318iS, one of the bolts

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E36/Coupe/Europe/318is-M44/RHD/M/1996/october/browse/rear_axle/rear_axle_support_wheel_suspension/
no 19 in this diagram

decided to snap, so tonight i had a pop at drilling it out, now i may have been slightly off centre :frown and ive managed to take a lump out of the nut thats in the floor :duh:duh

so the million dollar question is: can the nut be replaced or is it job f:censoredked?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I'd look at drilling an retapping to the next size up.
I don't think there is an easy way to get into that part of the car as it's inside the chassis.
There should be 3 bolts there I think, you'll still be able to drive about on it for now, but there's move of a chance of the rear toe being knocked out of bumps.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd look at drilling an retapping to the next size up.
I don't think there is an easy way to get into that part of the car as it's inside the chassis.
There should be 3 bolts there I think, you'll still be able to drive about on it for now, but there's move of a chance of the rear toe being knocked out of bumps.
I think that will be one route id be looking at taking if i can get the rest of the bolt out

there are 3 bolts holding it in however the car is sitting on a set of axlestands and is in about 100 bits so there will be no worry about driving it

·
Registered
567 Posts
this happened to me a few years ago. when i drilled it out the captive nut came loose:eek i ended up welding a threaded bar into the hole in the chassis and using a nylock nut. worked fine but what a ball ache.:hihi

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys
tapping the nut out and drilling it maybe the best route, however there are a few other big (read pita/expensive) jobs that need doing on the car and this may be the straw that breaks the camels back so to speak
im going to have a sleep on it and suss out what to do with it tomorrow

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Don't drill the snapped bolt through with a small drill to loosen it, or if gone off centre don't do it again so it can be twished then falls out.

Definitely don't then drill it through bigger and don't spot weld a nut to a piece of flat bar (with a hole drilled in) and put that inside with the console removed so a new longer bolt can reach through into it.

Always assuming that with the console out you can reach the space above the captive nut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts