BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
when driving my 318is it randomly cuts out when driving doesnt matter what speed im doing or how many revs the engine is at when i go to restart it it runs like a bag of spanners (trying to die and back firing) unless i hold it above 3k rpm however (although sometimes if i hold the throttle still there is a bang and the engine fires back into life) i have noticed the car only does it when it is hot, ive been over the engine but i cant find any leaks, its not using any oil or coolant and neither is it mixing although the coolant is black but i only changed it a couple of weeks ago and it doesnt overheat
the problem is extremly random though it might be fine for a couple of days or it might do it 2 or 3 times in one trip. i took the car to the garage and had the fault codes done and when the car was driven again it ran fine untill the evening and it started playing up again. another day i was driving it the idle control valve died and the car started idling at 3k so i disconnected it drove home and reconnected it and its been fine ever since. im a bit confused to it all.

there seems to be a release of pressure sometimes from here aswell does anyone know what this is as i have never seen it on a car before. i spoke to a mate who had the same problems it turned out to be the idle control valve but his one cleared after a good thrash, i took mine for a thrash and the next time i started it it just ran like :censored again
sorry for the essay any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right after alot of head scratching the bmw finally gave up the ghost and refused to start or when it did it would run like a bag of spanners (like it wasnt getting any fuel) so after a set of leads and a coil pack everything was peachy creamy for now anyway i think that might have solved it for now but ill be keeping a close eye on it all.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
back to square one again :( im afraid started the car tonight (when heated up) the idle was going up and down but never above 1k rpm turned it off and started it again it ran fine i started driving it and it started to lose power again (whilst this was happening there was a popping noise, and if i dip the clutch the engine will die unless i hold the throttle to the board and rev the tits off it) i just held the throttle in the same position and it would come back to life again it did it about 4 or 5 times then it was fine again taking it back to the garage to have the fault codes pulled to see what comes up
its driving me crazy

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
back to square one again :( im afraid started the car tonight (when heated up) the idle was going up and down but never above 1k rpm turned it off and started it again it ran fine i started driving it and it started to lose power again (whilst this was happening there was a popping noise, and if i dip the clutch the engine will die unless i hold the throttle to the board and rev the tits off it) i just held the throttle in the same position and it would come back to life again it did it about 4 or 5 times then it was fine again taking it back to the garage to have the fault codes pulled to see what comes up
its driving me crazy
Have you tried removing, cleaning and refitting the idle control valve? WD40 will work for cleaning:thumbsup

Also, I'm not sure if it may be a cause but what about the throttle position sensor???

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did try cleaning the icv before but i might have another go at it again i also though about the tps (if it was the tps wouldnt it go back to idling rather than cutting out) but it doesnt explain the popping noise that is happening the first idea i had was there was loads of fuel just being dumped in the engine and was causing it to flood but would you not get a stink of fuel from it
once i fitted the new coil pack and leads i must have done about 300ish miles in it without a problem oh im not quite sure but i think there could be a missfire on idle but ill double check it

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i tried that and it made no difference a mate had the same problems he just took his one for a good thrash and that cleared it out i did the same with mine and it just made it worse however the last 2 weeks the car has been running fine it only tried to cut out once so i think things are getting better i ordered a new crank position sensor just incase but i might just fit it anyway

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.